SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a college student thinking about crossing the Atlantic in 3+ years from now, and just want to gauge the basics of what is needed. I'm attracted by the adventure of taking a small boat across (perhaps 25-30') with 2 crew. Years ago I read Dove, about Robin Graham's circumnavigation and want to have my own adventure. My research is just starting and any resources you could recommend would be appreciated.

Initially I have three main questions:

What Boat? Maybe a small and tough boat like the Flicka

What Route? Fl to Bahamas to Azores to Gibraltar seems good

Am I stupid to be thinking about this?

My Sailing Experience: 10 years on dinghy's and day sailors, and cruising experience on motor boats. I would need more.

My Budget: Unknown. I would split the costs with my companion, plan to sell the boat (how big of a hit do you take selling in Europe?), and have a few years to save up.

thank you!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
You can do it. It's been done in very small boats. Keep reading and studying. Learn what makes a good cruiser. Get experience cruising on other people's boats. Good seamanship is composed of knowlege, experience and caution.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It is not the boat but the boater who makes the crossings. The boater selects the boat (the right boat hopefully). You need to learn as much as possible on ocean cruising then you will be able to select the correct boat and cross the ocean

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
I would recommend crewing on some passages if possible. Even if you don't have time yet available to cross an ocean, you can crew on shorter passages down the coast or perhaps Bermuda. This type of experience is really invaluable. Check ads at local marinas, local sailing publications, and of course the national magazines as well.

As others have mentioned, it also helps to read, read, read.

I agree it can be done if you put your efforts into it.
-J

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would change you question a bit. Ask "Have any of you crossed the Atlantic on a budget. This is a relative term but i am willing to bet a few on this site have. When a few reply ask them what they saild what it cost what they found usfell and wht they found a wast. You will get all kinds of answers and get an idea how they did it.

I don't think you will get that much information asking what you should know or need for the crossing. But finding out how others did it can help you get an idea how or if you can.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have the same boat as Graham and I can tell you one thing 2 or 3 people would be a crowd. But I do love the idea of sailing across any Ocean if you live near the Chesapeake bay your welcome to come out and sail on it. After I bought my boat I read Dove and after 2yrs. I am still in the bay but one day!

·
Registered
6 Posts
A Pacific Seacraft Flicka (factory boat) is a good choice but also consider the 24' Dana if budget allows. Be careful not to be overconfident about the scope of your goal. Think about crewing the crossing first then decide if you want to proceed on your own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts