SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

we want to sail a boat from the USA to Portugal and wondered whether it would be possible to use google-maps on our website to track our path.

I know it would be possible to send a short-message with the Iridium-phone to my family back home and let them set a new mark on the google-map, which is inserted in my website.

But is there any way to send the message directly to Google-Maps? So that it automatically sets the mark on the map?

Or is there any other way of tracking our path by sending short-messages or even emails by Iridium-Phone?

Thanks for reading! :)

John

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Spot messenger will do the job and they have a web application that shows reported locations on Google maps. In automatic mode the device sends an update every 10 minutes.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I'd agree that you'd probably be much better off getting a Spot Messenger, which is specifically designed to do this.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I think you should check your source again... not the case with the SPOT messenger... there are some dead spots, but it does have far greater coverage than merely 200 miles off shore.. What you may be thinking of is the XM satellite weather service, which is limited to about that distance.

Spot is only good for 200 miles off shore

1 - 6 of 6 Posts