SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I purchased an ATN MastClimber (lightly used) about a year ago, but I haven't mustered up the courage to try it yet. But I've studied this video a lot (a lot!). Does anyone have experience using one?

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
I tried it last year. just could not do it! Gave up. It was hilarious trying too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a similar setup made from rock climbing gear .... been up the mast a couple of times ... I'm 60 and not the most physically fit guy .. make sure the climbing line is tight and the climbing line goes through the middle of the foot stirrups. Mast is 53 feet

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, bought one last season and used it to replace broken VHF antennae. Wasn't as fast as depicted in video, but I did manage to make my way up and down successfully.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have used mine for 5 years. Oh, and I'm 65. Don't speed up the mast but I prefer it to getting cranked up. Consider it part of my "glad I bought it" equipment.

FWIW

·
Registered
14 Posts
I climb my mast using 2 Petzl ascenders, 1 attached to my west marine bosuns chair and
the other to rock climbers foot straps. I secure the halyard tight to the boom vang fitting then go up and down quite quickly and comfortably. The climbing equipment looked better built than the ATN equipment I compared it to back when I assembled this and it was cheaper.

Wayne
SV Music

·
Registered
712 Posts
This rascal works great! You DO have to have some physical dexterity.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,489 Posts
Having once had to be hoisted to a masthead at sea, I resolved never to find myself dependent upon another to get me up and down if the need ever arose on our own yacht. I have owned and used an ATN top climber for 12 years. It only takes a little coordination and good leg strength as one is essentially doing "squats" both coming and going and on our 62' mast, it's a good workout. I use two lines. One for the ATN and a second, companion line, for a mountaineering ascender attached to a safety line that is also clipped to my harness so that if one or the other let go, I'm covered. As noted, however, it is a good workout and if one has not done a fair number of successive squats for awhile, one's legs will feel pretty sore/rubbery for several days afterward.

FWIW...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have one and love it. I've found the best time to go up is on a windy day, you get blown to one side and pretty much stay there instead of bouncing all over the place.

·
Old soul
5,012 Posts
Another happy ATN climber owner here. I find ascending is pretty easy, it's coming down that is trickier. If you overestimate your flexibility (or lack of flexibility in my case), you can get yourself locked in place. But it's not that hard.

The ATN package is nice b/c it easily doubles as a standard bosuns chair if you happen to have an extra winch-grinding gorilla on board. But it allows for solo climbing, or with the other person just working the safety line.

One thing I find useful is to have a hip belt that I can snap around the mast. This keeps the wild swinging down to a minimum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts