SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

atomic 4 damage?

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  imagine2frolic 
#1 ·
I went to check my boat today (it is on the cradle) and was stunned to see about 12 inches of water and ice inside. There has been a lot of snow and rain this year and I haven't been able to check it for a few weeks. The water level was approx 2 inches above the oil fill cap, so I know water will have entered the case. I think it was just below the alternator. It was half way up the coil. The starter was submerged. I am feeling sick about it. How much damage is likely? Is it easy to flush water from the oilcase? What components are relatively watertight?

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Thanks all,

I'm sure water didn't get high enough to enter the cylinders. I do know it is in the oil though. I pumped all the water I could out of the boat but there is still a large amount of ice in there. I'll have to put a heater in there to melt it. I am in eastern Canada - still cold here. What about the transmission? I assume oil could have entered this oil too? Maybe I'll get a small outboard this year. I wonder if insurance would cover this damage?

Discussion starter · #13 ·
I thought on a v-drive the transmission was lubricated independently of the engine??
What a pain in the butt - the ice is slowly melting with a heater in there in additionh to chipping away at it. Fingers crossed..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.