SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought my first atomic 4 and it was purchased thru an estate sale. so No previous owner to ask.

My problem is after just starting and engined warmed up, I go to put in forward and engine vibrates very strongly- boat will move slowly but mast shakes violently- i will then her back into neutral and maybe reverse and try again- sometimes she connects ok and other times it may take 5 or 6 times before she catches forward with no vibrations-- works fine in reverse though-
tried adjusting shifter

any suggestions-greatly appreciated
Phil

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Sounds like a transmission problem, not an engine one...

·
19,484 Posts
Sounds to me like a folding prop that only opened one blade.....

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
Either of the above explanations could cause excessive vibration.
I will add that your engine/shaft alignment could be out and your cutlass bearing could need replacing as possible causes for vibration.
It seems to me that the transmission is the likely culprit though. There are discussions on how you adjust the A4's transmission over on the Moyer Marine Community forums: Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Powered by vBulletin
Our A4 shifts fairly easily into forward gear with little variation in vibration or sound.
Good luck.

·
19,484 Posts
The fact that even the mast shakes violently, and the fact that the problem occasionally disappears really points to the prop not opening. But it would be nice to know what sort of prop it is before committing to that theory.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
My reason for thinking transmission and not prop is that he doesn't have any issues in reverse. A faulty prop would probably give problems in forward and reverse, would it not???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did take her for a ride on saturday, when i started her at the dock and then put her into gear she vibrated heavily- then put into neutral and reverse and tried a few times more and then she was finally ok- I took her for a ride for about an hour and ran just fine.

Next day , same thing happened after she was warmed up at dock had to shift her back and forth few times before vibrations went away and fine for another ride. went sailing and same thing again- vibrated when started in forward again.

THANKS for all your help

·
19,484 Posts
My reason for thinking transmission and not prop is that he doesn't have any issues in reverse. A faulty prop would probably give problems in forward and reverse, would it not???
SD - in our experience with our ungeared martec, it always opened equally in reverse, but occasionally failed to do so in forward. We took to spinning the prop briefly in reverse and shifting to forward and rarely had that problem again.

Lasalle: do you or do you not have a folding prop on this boat???

·
Sea Dweeb
143 Posts
In most cases this would be a correct assumption. However, if the axle pin holes are worn a blade could "hang up" more in one direction of rotation than the other due to asymmetrical bias on the pin.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
SD - in our experience with our ungeared martec, it always opened equally in reverse, but occasionally failed to do so in forward. We took to spinning the prop briefly in reverse and shifting to forward and rarely had that problem again.
Oh..

Lasalle: do you or do you not have a folding prop on this boat???
Yes, see post 7... but it is probably a bronze folding prop.

·
19,484 Posts
yes I do have a folding 2 blade prop
Sorry Lasalle, missed that the first time.... SD was yelling at me!;)

I'm pretty sure your problem is indeed the prop. Try spinning it in reverse just before you go ahead, that usually deals with the problem. If the prop is badly worn (or the cheeks splayed) this makes things worse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.