SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in finding a running Atomic 4 gas engine for my 1978 Catalina. I live in the Long Beach,CA area. I could provide the old block if necessary.

Also parts would be considered.

·
1975 Newport 28
1986 Hunter 31
579 Posts
I don't have an engine for you, but you should also post your request over on the Moyer Marine site. They specialize in A4 engines and your request will reach an audience that's very knowledgeable about the old beasts.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
If you aren't too old (and the picture makes you look pretty fit), you might want to consider one of Moyer's refurbished Atomic 4 blocks. Basically, you can salvage the existing "bolt-ons" from your current engine and get something good for another 30 years, esp. if you opt for fresh-water cooling and other goodies.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had my atomic 4 rebuilt in BC by Moyer. Did an awesome job! pulled her out drove across the border in Bellingham; funny thing is the ass end of my car was dragging on the ground and the Border Agents didn't even search my car or anything! Moyer is awesome. He even through in what he had to to make the whole thing work out for me. Great guy! Here's the boat I put her in S.V.ANGEL
stephen

·
Registered
249 Posts
rebuild cost

Stephen,

Curious: What did the rebuild cost you? I have an A4 on my O'Day 27. One of these days I'll be faced with a similar decision to make.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It was around $2k...a little more. But no surprises. Mine was raw water cooled and he actually did more work than we had agreed on just to help make it work for me...great guy! Plus he threw in new exhaust parts and stuff like that...then he made a trip on his own time to check on it. I was living in Bellingham and so that was an afternoon trip for him. I couldn't say enough good things about the guy. What year's your boat..this was on my '75 newport 30 "angel". I miss her...got a new cutie now though...
Have a nice day...email me anytime.
Stephen
cal 25 mk 2
"Sirius"
Seattle

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have 3 A4's one is in the machine shop and the other two are in my shop, one of was running when it was pulled so I have an abundence of parts so drop me a note and lets talk if your still in need. I have two prop couplings as well one for 1 inch and one for 3/4

·
Registered
1 Posts
Atomic 4

I have a running A-4 in my Alberg 35, I am replacing it with a Yanmar. the engine runs great, recently took a 125 mile trip down the intercoastal. also have a few ignition parts.
I am located in Miami Fl My phone 305 776 5646

·
Registered
5 Posts
Atomic 4 for sale

Are you still looking for and Atomic 4? I'm hauling out next month and plan on removing the atomic 4 from my 1975 Newport 27. It runs fine (just had many new parts installed) and can be yours. I'm going to rely on OB power here in the Puget Sound. I am in WA, so you would be best off to come and get it to avoid shipping costs, although I've used U-ship successfully to ship across country and was very pleased. Let me know via this forum.

·
Hull Number 33
59 Posts
Atomic 4 available in Latitude 38 Classifieds

In the equipment/gear section of April's Latitude 38 there was an ad for a rebuilt A4 ( didn't specify transmission type) for $3000.00.

Obviously, there would be shipping to Long Beach to consider.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a running 1976 late model A-4. Currently in boat but will be removed shortly (storm damaged boat is being scrapped). Rebuilt professionally 6 years ago. Freshwater use only. Can put it on a pallet (300#) and ship to west coast. Engine is in Ohio. PM me for details and pricing. Reasonable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A4 available

I have Universal Atomic 4 'UL' series (serial #71566)that was a custom rebuild by Robert Hess in the summer of 1999. It is identical to the 1953 original, including cast iron carburetor, generator (as opposed to alternator), with brass water pump. It was my intention to use it in a period antique rebuild that was sidetracked over the past five years. It has not been run or installed over that time. In fact, it has been in heated storage and is in 'brand new' condition. This engine is unique, I think, and I am accepting serious offers at this time. This would be a perfect OEM replacement for any classic 50's and forward sailboat or small power boat. Rebuilt Atomic 4 prices are about CDN$5,000 at the moment. I am entertaining CDN$3,200.00 or US$ equivalent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I (and the A4) am in the Calgary, Alberta, Canada area. Will crate for shipping for materials cost - purchaser to arrange shipment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Atomic 4 for sale

I have an Atomic 4 for sale. I am parting out a Catalina 27. The boat has always been on Lake Erie - never in salt. The engine runs well and doesn't have anything wrong with it to my knowledge. I also have a spinnaker pole, spinnaker that is virtually new - I've never flown it and the previous owner, who is a good friend, only used it several times. Also have a Martec folding prop. The boat got crunched in a yard accident. I am building a 33' bluewater boat and don't have the time to rebuild and nothing is selling in Toledo Ohio! Call me if interested 419-410-6528
Mil

·
Registered
2 Posts
For some reason my posts don't post... I'll try again. I am parting out a Catalina 27. Atomic 4 runs good. No problems that I know of. Always on Lake Erie - never in salt. If interested email me at harmony_4257"at"yahoo.com. Located in Toledo Ohio.
Mil

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm also looking for a good running A-4 from the local area of CT,MA or RI. 76' Catalina 27 A-4 rusted out. Boats in the water and sailing but its alittle big for me to row against the currents here. Thanks for any leads. Charlie

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Atomic Four , with extras

Universal Atomic Four
Ser No:101499
Model: UJ

I removed this 1980's engine from my sailboat to provide more space for offshore sailing. According to the previous owner, the engine had been rebuilt at some time. The engine hasn't been run for the last 2 years, but before it was stored it had been "winterized". I don't have the time to test the engine so I am selling it AS IS. The only issue is that during removal the oil drain pipe was knocked off; An easy fix for anyone mechanical.
Because I have no place to store parts here in Ontario, there are many extras.

Included with engine:
Water pump gaskets
Coil and coil bracket
Contact set
Condenser
Distributor cap
Alternator belt
Water pump backing plate & gasket
Extra pump Impellers
Muffler
Gauge Console & wire harness
2 service manuals - 1 Moyer Marine & 1 Robert Staton

If you need more information or pictures, please contact me.
*[email protected]*

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an atomic 4 rebuilt by Moyer Marine. this is our 4th season and it has 100 hours and has water cooling.

runs great but our Cal 34 lost its mast this weekend so if we can't get it fixed we'll sell the atomic 4.

we are in NYC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Atomic Four For My Macushla

I've spent the season rebuilding the A4 in my Irwin 28 only to have the water jacket rust through and fill the crank case with coolant. ARGH!! I'm located in Suffolk county and have a protable engine crane for lifting the engine out and loading it in my vehicle. Please let me know if and when the engine is available.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts