SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of cool pictures posted here over the last week or so, particularly the "on the hard" thread. It got me thinking... Geesh those are some shiny boats. Polished hulls, clean bright bootstipes, varnished rails & brightwork, new canvas, white sails etc etc... Not since I toured the "you must get your hull polished monthly, and you can't use your boat or do anything else with it" marina on Shelter Island, San Diego, have I seen such a collection of little gems. Am I missing something here? I spent about 2 weeks a year and a half ago repainting my deck. It looked nice for about 6 months.... The hull? Polished it 2 years ago, took about 2 days. looked good for about 2 months. Brightwork: did it all 2 years ago with the deg. Looks like crap now. Sails? cleaning? that means sailing the the rain right? done that. Seems like just keeping up the important stuff like wiring, engine, plumbing, rig etc consumes all of my time and money. I don't lead that busy of a life, but sure couldn't find any time to perty up the old girl this year. Not that I didn't want to. I would love to.
So how is it done?

·
Registered
725 Posts
You hire someone to so it. I can't so my boat looks like yours. So you wont find a photo of it till spring!!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am with you on the maintance issue. I work every spring for about 2 weeks on and off ( do to work schedual) and my boat looks great. However after a summer of sailing she is back to looking just OK!

I do have nice bright work on my boat but its only because I do it every year. This year I will make handrail covers with "sunbrella" material. as well as hatch covers and such. As for a white deck. I like "softscrub" with bleach. I find it does a great job.

As for the hull that is another job all together. I find that my 1981 model year boat does not take a wax and buff very well anymore. I may end up painting it, no sure though.

I guess if you can afford it, just have it done proffessionally. If not dont worry if your boat is the shinning star at the yacht club, make up for it in the amount of time you use it.

Cheers

Waverider24

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Use the ship. Keep it looking reasonable. Weathering will dull any finish really, just concentrate on the priorities. If everything works, you are in good shape.

·
Caribbean Surveyor
511 Posts
I think the majority of us have boats that don't look picture perfect. I usually take pictures of my boat after I do the work, so it looks super clean, but it only lasts a few weeks. Also, many people never leave the dock, so their boat doesn't get dirty.

My boat looks very white now....cause it's covered with a foot of snow:D

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
Most pictures are the "after" pictures. Mine was taken after two weeks of work. Clean and polishing topsides, bottompaint, clean and wax stainless. Actually the boat doesn't get too dirty in six months of Bahamian cruising. It gets a lot dirtier sitting in Miami for a week with all the jets flying overhead (of course we anchor right in the glide path to MIA ) or sitting in Toronto near the stacks of the sewage plant or sitting in Charleston near the bridges where about a ton of rubber comes off the tires of the cars flying past. But in the Bahamas it's nice and clean, a little bit of salt spray but a nice rain shower'll take care of that.

beneteau393 : Beneteau393 Group
beneteau393 : Beneteau393 Group

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
I work on it in the winter and spring. I didn't really have that much to do this past spring, but this spring the wood will need a coat. I wax the hull once a year, last year I did it in the water. Mine stays nice looking mostly due to the new paint. Once that fades, I'll be like everyone else.

The sails are nice and white because I sent them to sailcare. The genoa is badly blown out though. Notice how full it is on the leading edge and how it drives the bow down a bit? It won't point worth a crap.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
I work on it in the winter and spring. I didn't really have that much to do this past spring, but this spring the wood will need a coat. I wax the hull once a year, last year I did it in the water. Mine stays nice looking mostly due to the new paint. Once that fades, I'll be like everyone else.

The sails are nice and white because I sent them to sailcare. The genoa is badly blown out though. Notice how full it is on the leading edge and how it drives the bow down a bit? It won't point worth a crap.

John,

What is Sailcare all about? Can you say more about them? My sails are looking a bit faded.

Regards

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Sailcare is a company that will clean your sails and do small repairs on the. They're pretty well respected, but don't expect miracles.

As for sailboy's original post... just have to put in the time to make the boat pretty.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
I agree with Vasco, most of the shiny boats are the "after" pics. Mine was "after" six months in the shop and many boat bucks. I'll keep it looking good but I'd rather use it than spend all the good weather varnishing and polishing.

To the OP- since you are in Alaska and only have a two week sailing season, you are excused from normal bright work maintenance :D

John

·
19,489 Posts
It helps to have a boat with minimal maintenance intensive stuff on deck... teak handrails, cap rails, etc etc look terrific when freshly done but quickly deteriorate. We have no exposed wood on deck so simply keeping her clean goes a long way to maintaining the looks.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
John,

What is Sailcare all about? Can you say more about them? My sails are looking a bit faded.

Regards
Here's my experience with Sailcare. On my mainsail and my 110 jib they did a fabulous job. They came back white and perfect. The genoa I had trouble with. The person who actually worked on that sail no longer works for sailcare, for screwing up a number of sails not just mine. I sent the sail back to have one item that was repaired incorrectly fixed. When I got the sail back I found another item that had been done to the sail (on the first trip in) for no particular reason. The sail shape was much worse than it's usual blown out crap. I was able to undo that mistake myself. Jerry at Sailcare was nothing less than wonderful to work with, and will take care of any problem immediately. I told him what caused the problem I was having, and that's when he told me she had been fired for doing just the kind of thing she did to me.

I'm tring to talk my wife into a new set of sails, but I would use sailcare again.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
buy a new boat every 2 years

consider that you are looking at photos. i suspect many will look different with a close personal inspection.

this goes along with the 5 foot rule...does it look good from 5 feet away?
Or perhaps the 10 foot rule. my boat pictures were taken from 50' away. do not magnify my pix!

how many times have I heard the comment that a boat on yachtworld looked great, but in person looked terrible. I've seen that myself.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with Vasco, most of the shiny boats are the "after" pics. Mine was "after" six months in the shop and many boat bucks. I'll keep it looking good but I'd rather use it than spend all the good weather varnishing and polishing.

To the OP- since you are in Alaska and only have a two week sailing season, you are excused from normal bright work maintenance :D

John
You got it backwards. I have a two week bright work season. Year round sailing season :) Right now the weather is nicer (albeit about 10 degrees colder) than our entire month of July.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I'm tring to talk my wife into a new set of sails, but I would use sailcare again.
Be very aware that sailcare isn't cheap. My main and genoa cost over $1500 to clean and according to Jerry do some minor repairs.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Lots of cool pictures posted here over the last week or so, particularly the "on the hard" thread. It got me thinking... Geesh those are some shiny boats. Polished hulls, clean bright bootstipes, varnished rails & brightwork, new canvas, white sails etc etc... Not since I toured the "you must get your hull polished monthly, and you can't use your boat or do anything else with it" marina on Shelter Island, San Diego, have I seen such a collection of little gems. Am I missing something here? I spent about 2 weeks a year and a half ago repainting my deck. It looked nice for about 6 months.... The hull? Polished it 2 years ago, took about 2 days. looked good for about 2 months. Brightwork: did it all 2 years ago with the deg. Looks like crap now. Sails? cleaning? that means sailing the the rain right? done that. Seems like just keeping up the important stuff like wiring, engine, plumbing, rig etc consumes all of my time and money. I don't lead that busy of a life, but sure couldn't find any time to perty up the old girl this year. Not that I didn't want to. I would love to.
So how is it done?

well I believe it is a fundamental difference between you and others who keep there boats pretty .. if is work for you .. well it shows.. we (count myself and some of us ) who LOVE work on our boats, find the time and find it important .. I'm not talking boat show display , but pristine, pretty showing some one love that boat .. if your life have no room pamper your boat perhaps you should charter , to me nothing more sad sight that is ..when I see a gorgeous sailboat lay neglected in her slip .. almost physically hurt ..
Having a sail boat is not only a boat but the way I live and SHE is part of this life of mine.. SO instead of warming a bar stool some place(not because is anything wrong with that) I chose to hang on my boat and make sure she is well take in care of ..I f you have some one look after your boat , it is like have your child with the help ..Not my cup of tea

but that is me .. if you dont have the time sell her to some one who has , or change your work ( nothing worth more than sailing ) but as you see I'm bias a bit ...

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Be very aware that sailcare isn't cheap. My main and genoa cost over $1500 to clean and according to Jerry do some minor repairs.

Holy crap that's expensive!! I was just quoted $1485.00 for a brand new main sail for my CS-36... Half the cost of new for a clean and patch???:confused::confused:

As for keeping clean I learned a long time ago while working on those big shiny yachts that you need a rotation or schedule. I stick to the schedule and it's easier. Let something go for too long and it will take three times as long to get looking new again. I live very close to my boat and during the season I am on her at least once per day. Every time I go out there I have a small project or cleaning or maintenance item that I check off. Then I go sailing..

·
Banned
58 Posts
clean baot . clean mind ..

nothing more disturbing ,then go aboard on a dirty ,full of crap boat , dinggie lines, dirty canvas, clutter miles high .. sailing is... free your spirit, free your mind, and it is almost impossible to enjoy when you haul around 200 lb .of trash on board ..
when you haul the canvas out and it is dirty ... well not the same feeling is it?!
cruising offshore well supplied , is one thing but sail on a neglected boat , wonder what will give next ,due to that "so called deferred maintenance "that is not fun in my book
she (the boat ) will take care of you , if you take care of her ...if you neglect that pretty girl .. well she will let you down to ...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts