SailNet Community banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Good stuff!! :eek: Budgie, welcome to the "Wonderful World of Yachting"..

Didn't think it would be ALL beer and skittles, did you?!? :D :D

(Been there, done that..) ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
hartley...... i thought yachting was gonna be pink gins on the deck at 5 o`clock, aperitifs, twighlight racing, self furling everything, including anchors, short black espresso coffees....not smelly bilges, broken pipes, gurgling sea monsters,mud coated anchor chains, frostbitten (only melbourne & canada) extremities, sardines, noodles & worst of all ..instant coffee..... golly gosh, i should never have listened to that broker with the spotted bow tie that sold me this boat!!! i`m huffing & puffing more than the wind!!

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Lessee if I can relate to this:

smelly bilges
Check. I Don't think you'll ever get away from that one!! :D

broken pipes
Check. :)

gurgling sea monsters
I won't ask, but I believe you. ;)

mud coated anchor chains
Check. ..and make sure you wash the stuff off properly before puttin' the anchor away.. ;) :)

frostbitten (only melbourne & canada) extremities,
Definitely - check!! :D

WHAAT? You can't catch a DECENT sized fish?? :eek:

I assume you're referring to the 2-minute variety. Cup-a-soup is good too. :D

& worst of all ..instant coffee.....
Now, there I have to disagree with you. It is possible to use one of those espresso things you put REAL ground coffee in (still out of a packet, but tastes different) and boil up on the stove (metho or gas? - I'm assuming metho) but that's a subject for a whole other thread entirely. :D :D

golly gosh, i should never have listened to that broker with the spotted bow tie that sold me this boat!!! i`m huffing & puffing more than the wind!!
Ahhh, she'll be right, Mate.

A word of advice: Don't be tempted to fix everything immediately - just concentrate on the things that need to get right to SAIL the old girl and worry about the pretty-stuff later. ;) :)

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
You listened FUZZY?!?!?!?!?! oh lordy, thats half the problem!! No ONE, should listen to a fuzzy with a spotted bow tie! much less ANYone with a bow tie.....

and you listened to fuzzy..........oh dear or me oh my!........

·
Registered
31 Posts
i`m not cheapskate you know hartley...... boil my fresh coffee up on a stove [email protected]#$^*>[email protected]#@$#%&&"???????!!!!!!!!! i mean..what a waste of fresh coffee. NO......you get FRESH coffee beans (from deep in the heart of the jungles of africa, roasted individually over the smoke from the cooked dung of a 3 legged ginuana) one then grinds the coffee ones self and then puts a double shot of the ground coffee into an espresso machine like the machines they have in the great melbourne cafes. then you extract a short BLACK (no milk or sugar) into a tiny cup...... MMMM this is making me drool, because my machine`s in storage in tin can bay along with some very large solar panels and 600 amps of batteries.i think i may have to build a trailer (floating) to tow behind my boat to hold the solar panels & batteries needed to run my coffee machine!!! if you ever see a 24 ft adams towing a trailer selling espresso coffees..you know who it is.... give the grey haired poor old fella a couple of dollars for a coffee !! and by the way blt2ski...... who`s fuzzy ? oh dear, i hav`nt offended a spotted bow tie wearer who`s also a broker and one of the administrators...... have i ? damn it.... am i gonna be banned again?.... actually, i did think of putting the word "BANNED" under my user name instead of "junior member" that`ll fool `em!!!!

·
Picnic Sailor
2,119 Posts
i`m not cheapskate you know hartley...... boil my fresh coffee up on a stove [email protected]#$^*>[email protected]#@$#%&&"???????!!!!!!!!! i mean..what a waste of fresh coffee. NO......you get FRESH coffee beans (from deep in the heart of the jungles of africa, roasted individually over the smoke from the cooked dung of a 3 legged ginuana) one then grinds the coffee ones self and then puts a double shot of the ground coffee into an espresso machine like the machines they have in the great melbourne cafes. then you extract a short BLACK (no milk or sugar) into a tiny cup...... MMMM this is making me drool, because my machine`s in storage in tin can bay along with some very large solar panels and 600 amps of batteries.i think i may have to build a trailer (floating) to tow behind my boat to hold the solar panels & batteries needed to run my coffee machine!!! if you ever see a 24 ft adams towing a trailer selling espresso coffees..you know who it is.... give the grey haired poor old fella a couple of dollars for a coffee !! and by the way blt2ski...... who`s fuzzy ? oh dear, i hav`nt offended a spotted bow tie wearer who`s also a broker and one of the administrators...... have i ? damn it.... am i gonna be banned again?.... actually, i did think of putting the word "BANNED" under my user name instead of "junior member" that`ll fool `em!!!!
We have a member here Smack who did go with the words "soon to be banned" under his Avatar for a while......
............and then ummm well he was banned.....:)
but eventually unbanned back again. He is likeable enough once you get used to him....he will be sure to be along shortly with a BFS bumper sticker:cool: :cool:

Fuzzy is indeed our marsupial themed moderator. He is currently enjoying a few weeks quiet time on the Womboat......I think his thought was to try for Jervis Bay I haven't heard whether he managed it or not.

Now as for coffee.........forget seaworthiness........and water gushing into your boat......and an engine that doesn't cut it your first priority should be getting an inverter....and then plugging in your expresso machine :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have the inverter chall03, but it`s in storage. at present i only have the little 30 amp battery that came with the boat. trouble is.... i have to run the coffee machine for just over 2 minutes to warm up and extract a coffee. this process draws 5 amps from the battery...... bigger trouble is.... i drink 10 short blacks per day...... that`s 50 amps draw..... because of losses due to wiring and heat used drawing power from batteries, you need to put back in approx 20 % more than you take out to get the battery charged back again. so that`s 60 amps. now add 1 amp for the coffee grinder per cup = 10 amps + 20% = 12 amps....... that`s 62 amps for 10 cuppas. my little engel 40 litre freezer draws 50 amps per day as a freezer (25 amps as a fridge) ...... that`s 112 amps..... my computer is also my entertainment centre/tv/dvd etc. and draws approx 2.5 amps per hour, but surpriseingly(excuse my bad spelling) uses 4 amps per hour with the tv stick in.... say 10 hours per day = 50 amps... that`s 162 amps per day... so far !!! add my bose computer speakers.... after a wine or two and if you pump them up, they can use 6 amps per hour!!! but generally about 2 amps per hour. add to this the amps used by the inverter ( a larger inverter can draw 2 amps per hour WITHOUT anything running!!! add lights, gps/sounder etc. etc. and for a power hungry, coffee addict like me, 200 amps per day could be the average!! .....gosh, i`ve used 3 amps just writing this!!! a good way of judging the solar panel power needed to run your needs, is.....first off, forget what the manufacturers say you`re gonna get from a solar panel.... in AUSTRALIA if you divide the panel WATTS by 4.5 this will give you the average AMPS coming in per day.. i.e. a 125 watt panel divided by 4.5 = 27 amps per day.(ave,day of sun and cloud). if you divide that same panel by 3 you will get the best figure that panel will produce i.e. pure sunshine all day. 125 divided by 3 = 41 amps per day.......divide that same panel by 13 and you will get the very worst day ( very overcast/raining all day)... 125watts divided by 13 = 9 amps per day. these figures are also dependent on the regulator you use. a cheap regulator ($70) will reduce the amps, as they cut off the power coming in a little too early (they play safe) from my experience with solar you can say that a 125 watt panel will give you 30 amps per day in AUSTRALIA.......batteries needed for these panels are approx. 100 amps of battery per one 125 watt panel....... for my 200 amps usage per day, thats over 6 panels....and 600 amps of battery bank!!!.!!!!!!! most people obviously HAVE to compromise on panels. i am going to have an awful job fitting even two 125 watt panels on my boat.... in MY case, i will have to cut down on my amps use....but personally, i will run a little honda type generator with a 50 amp battery charger connected to supplement my panels... ( it`s not a good idea to run diesel motors at idle to charge batteries, only use diesel motors to charge batteries if the diesel is under load i.e. driving the boat) all this talk....i`m craving for a short black espresso.. oh well...instant coffee will have to do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
as an addition to the above & for those new to inverters & solar/wind power..... to find the amps used of a mains appliance for a 12 VOLT system.....divide the watts of the appliance by 12...i.e. a 2400 watt electric kettle .....2400 divided by 12 = 200 amps PER HOUR.....if it`s on for say 3 minutes, do the sums and you will understand why you need a lot of solar power/batteries to run those sort of items.... if you will be running these appliances with inverters then dividing by 10 instead of 12 will account for the inverter draw as well... another thought with inverters... basically there are 2 types.....pure sine wave & modified square wave..... pure sinewave being the more exspensive. from my own personal experience, powere tools, and non computerized appliances can be REASONABLY safe to run on modified square wave....... this includes the cheaper espresso coffee machines that are NOT computerized!!.... from ,sadly ,my own experience, an exspensive computerized, automatic espresso machine will run on the squarewave...BUT ONLY FOR A FEW MINUTES `TILL IT BURNS OUT!!!!!!!!....$1000 up in smoke....it made ONE great, albiet very exspensive cup of coffee though!!...... it`s not worth the chance to run any computerized appliance on square wave innverters. a lot of very small netbook computers will run fine on a good quality mod.sq.wave, but still not worth the chance......... SOME appliances really dont like ANY type of inverter !!!.. ALWAYS make sure that you use an inverter with MORE than enough power to run your appliance..... a 2000 watt inverter will operate a 2000 watt appliance but BOTH inverter & appliance will burn out much quicker than normal..another method that i used for a few years ( but only if you use a marine type semi deep cycle starter battery) is to connect an inverter to the starter battery and ONLY use the appliance when driving & under load. i`m not certain of the long term use of this method & maybe someone with more knowledge than i can enlighten me. hope this is of help to some that are about to embark into this form of power.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i did cheat today.... i could`nt resist the smell of coffee wafting up my nostrels as i walked by a cafe today....... $4 for a short black !!!!!! but mmmmmm i did so enjoy it.... my first one in weeks...... feeling hypoactive, hypo hypo hypo hypo hypo hypo hypo hypo must fix the pipes, must fix the pipes

·
Registered
31 Posts
if i take into consideration... solar panels & batteries & coffee machines & inverters............. i can make my own short blacks for $1495 a shot !!!! by the time i reach 183 years old........ i might just be able to make one for FREE....... well.......... that`s something to look forward to

41 - 52 of 52 Posts