SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
australia one had to my knowledge and memory an very unusual design...
she had 2 keels - one forward and one aft which were also working as rudders...
in principal a good idea but the construction just could not stand the loads from the rig which in conventional designs stands on the keelson and a very much reinforced area - more or less...
on this boat, reinforcements at the mast step were not so much there, obviously... ;)

i could be wrong about it being australia one, but there was a racing mono with that configuration which broke in half...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow, that was incredible. It is a good thing the crew at the bow jumped off when they did. Another couple seconds and they easily could have gotten tangled up in a sheet and pulled to the bottom. It is pretty amazing the boat went down so perfectly plumb, instead of rolling to one side or tipping aft. You would think the bow would have kept a sizable air pocket and the stern would allow the air to escape and sink faster.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i do not think that these boats had watertight compartments anywhere...
crack it in the middle like a blown out egg and it flushes all of the boat in no time... ;)

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,754 Posts
This is from memory, but my recollection is that there was an investigation into what caused the failure. My recollection was that this boat had previously been damaged and repaired near this area. Also major hardware had been relocated in way that increased the loads near the repairs. The repairs and hardware relocations had not been discussed with the design team who were not expecting that much load in this area. With the compromised strength from the repair in this area and the higher loads from the relocated hardware, the hull failed at the edge of the repair. Adding to this, Aus 31 was optimized for the comparatively light to moderate wind and long swell conditions that are typical of San Diego. My recollection was that it had been the conditions were pretty high winds, and a choppy day which only added to the problem.

Reactions: bljones

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's ironic that there was a lot of criticism during the last Americas Cup about the unseaworthiness of the catamarans, often from people who were diehard fans of monohull Americas Cup racing.
Guess they forgot about this lol.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The times when america cuppers were seaworthy are long gone... It does not matter if mono or multihulled...
That was at the time were those yachts had to be sailed to the location of the cup and not been transported on some freighters, but that was way back in another century... And i am not talking about the last. ;)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
It's ironic that there was a lot of criticism during the last Americas Cup about the unseaworthiness of the catamarans, often from people who were diehard fans of monohull Americas Cup racing.
Guess they forgot about this lol.
Actually, the sinking of AUSTRALIA ONE, and this video, was linked to during the discussion in the wake of the ARTEMIS tragedy...

I remember, as I was the one who did so... :)

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,754 Posts
The times when america cuppers were seaworthy are long gone... It does not matter if mono or multihulled...
That was at the time were those yachts had to be sailed to the location of the cup and not been transported on some freighters, but that was way back in another century... And i am not talking about the last. ;)
Had you been talking about the last century, you still would have been correct since the boats were sailed across as late as the Great Depression.

To me this whole discussion about seaworthiness of America's Cup boats makes no sense at all. These are Grand Prix race boats. No one would expect a formula 1 team to drive their cars on the street to the event. (Not even Nascar cars can be driven on the street) so why would you expect the America's cup boats to be constructed with the equivalent of all season radials, passenger seats, and a license tag holder.
Jeff

Reactions: capt vimes
1 - 14 of 14 Posts