1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
545 Posts
The problem with fuses is that an Electronic technician looks at fuses differently than a boater. An ET needs to know how long at what current causes the fuse to blow, slow blow as apposes to regular. A boater wants to know how the contacts hold up in a corrosive enviornment. I personally prefer the slow blow rating, but with sensitive electronic equipment slow blow blows the equipment. Peak current vs average current.
There are solutions to this problem in the realm of voltage, peak limiters (zener diodes and triacs). but the wireing and application becomes difficult. I would expect most of the solid state regulators and converters to incorperate this concept.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
ANL fuses are slow blow under load - about 500 seconds at about 1.5 x rating. They are the perfect fuse for protection from short circuits in battery wiring - in this case they will blow virtually instantly.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Thanks for the posting. Very timely. Installing a Blue Sea ACR is on my list of spring projects. I'm going to leave the 1-2-Both-Off switch in place as I have to equal sized batter banks - Group 31 deep cycles. Yes I lose the feature of not having to worry about blowing diodes if switched to off with the engine running but I like the flexibility.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Jims I'm already regretting the mess It's going to be fixing the rat's nest. Think out your approach before "tearing in" LOL

this just the nest under and behind the Alternator the engine panel is even worse!

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Yes I lose the feature of not having to worry about blowing diodes if switched to off with the engine running but I like the flexibility.
Not if it is properly wired between the batteries positive posts. This leaves the 1/2/both switch as a "use" switch that has nothing to do with charging, just as it should be.

There is no gain in flexibility by wiring the charging through the switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts