SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum for info on the latest AP systems. Seems like most of the info is outdated. I've done some light research on the subject and have come to the conclusion that I need one. My boat has a wheelhouse and a tiller outside. The engine throttle is inside the cabin as are all controls and gauges aside from an auxiliary compass. The vessel is a Beneteau Evasion 32. IF possible I'd like to keep my budget under 2500.00. I use a Garmin Echomap chart plotter. Not sure what's involved or which type of drive to use..Tiller or wheel? What's the install like, etc. Thanks, Angus

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
412 Posts
If you have a tiller and not a wheel then you'll have to use a tiller pilot. Not clear but maybe you have a wheel inside and tiller outside? If so and you're looking for a below decks AP I don't think you'll be able to keep the budget under $2500; Just a drive unit would eat close to half that budget. If you're looking for cheap but good try a CPT wheel pilot. From all reports it's much stronger and more reliable than the typical tiller pilot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have a tiller and not a wheel then you'll have to use a tiller pilot. Not clear but maybe you have a wheel inside and tiller outside? If so and you're looking for a below decks AP I don't think you'll be able to keep the budget under $2500; Just a drive unit would eat close to half that budget. If you're looking for cheap but good try a CPT wheel pilot. From all reports it's much stronger and more reliable than the typical tiller pilot.
I have the CPT on a 41 Gulfstar. Once the learning curve was passed it worked quite well. It was $2500.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
412 Posts
I have the CPT on a 41 Gulfstar. Once the learning curve was passed it worked quite well. It was $2500.
A friend put a CPT on his 42 Pearson. They have a big, barn door rudder and can take a heavy hand in certain conditions. He cruised all over the Caribbean as far as Panama and it worked great. I think you would need to trim carefully and reef in stronger weather or it might be over powered in a bigger boat.

·
Old soul
5,038 Posts
No experience with the ST2000, but I have used their SPX-5 GP Tiller Pilot (which looks like the EV100) on my 15 ton boat. It is way under-speced for my boat, but so far it has outperformed my expectations. I try to use it only in easy conditions, but it has sucessfully operated for many hours in very difficult conditions.

If/when this TP dies I plan to buy a Pelagic Pelagic Autopilot Systems.

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
I use the AP 99% of the time and only hand steer
to dock and depart the dock /slip​
to approach and leave a mooring or anchor location​
high wind sloppy sea conditions​
If A/P fails​
teaching someone how to steer​
I use an Alpha Marine 3000... no longer made. It is not driven by GPS data. It steers to a compass course you set with a large rotary dial. Like a helm if you turn the dial clockwise you steer to stbd, counter clockwise to port. It's like a tiny helm! And as such it is very easy and intuitive to use. As you don't look at the wheel when you steer... you don't look at the dial.. unless you want to steer to a specific course or make a tack and turn 100 degrees or so, It's not a tiller pilot, but a below decks unit which bolts onto the rudder post. It's quite robust and I have used it for more than 50,000 nm.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
OK, how about this...Does anyone have experience with the Ray Marine ST2000?
================================================================

looks like you have choice either wheel or tiller.
I just finished replacing/installing a Raymarine Evo 100 (wheel) on my Cape Dory 30, not much involved except basic electrical/wiring
However, if had the choice of tiller, will take the tiller option any time.
1) cost / install one, have a second unit as a back-up within your budget.
2) simplicity on the installation.

Tiller potential negative, going to the cockpit to set up and course adjustments underway, that might be a problem for some, personally will take this anytime as the positives of cost and simplicity are superior (for me)

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
As you can see, choices are tiller pilot, wheel pilot, or below decks system. Costs go up in that order also. For a boat your size, you can get away with a tiller or wheel pilot. As has been noted, they are not as powerful as a below decks unit, so trimming sails to minimize weather helm is needed. I am fine with units that steer to a compass course and not integrated to a GPS. Your needs may be different.

·
Registered
81 Posts
OK, how about this...Does anyone have experience with the Ray Marine ST2000?
No personal experience with the ST2000, but i have a Simrad TP10 (their smaller version, which i think is roughly equal to the ST1000) on my 30 ft Dufour Arpege.

I have had it for three seasons and it is definitely the best upgrade i've made to the boat. I use it when solo, obviously, but also frequently when sailing with the family if nobody else feels like taking the tiller.

~fortunat

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
For a 32ft vessel the Beneteau Evasion is a pretty heavily built tank of a boat. Displacement sits around 5800kg, just under 13,000lbs. For sure the ST2000 won't work. At this point I'm leaning towards the Raymarine EV-100 Wheel Evolution AP. It's rated for 7k KGs, it'll be sheltered in the wheelhouse, shorter wire runs, and close to the instruments. From what I understand it will work with my Echomap94UHD chart plotter. Looks like it'll set me back 1450.00 at Hodges Marine. I guess I'll be setting up NMEA2000 network as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
================================================================

looks like you have choice either wheel or tiller.
I just finished replacing/installing a Raymarine Evo 100 (wheel) on my Cape Dory 30, not much involved except basic electrical/wiring
However, if had the choice of tiller, will take the tiller option any time.
1) cost / install one, have a second unit as a back-up within your budget.
2) simplicity on the installation.

Tiller potential negative, going to the cockpit to set up and course adjustments underway, that might be a problem for some, personally will take this anytime as the positives of cost and simplicity are superior (for me)
I assume your'e talking about the EV 100 Wheel Evolution unit? ..or do you have the hydraulic version? I just ordered the "Wheel evolution" unit. Seems like a pretty easy install from some of the videos Iv'e seen. Hell, there's even a video of a couple women doing it in an afternoon.... granted they were a couple O' salty gals. LOL

·
Registered
72 Posts
I installed and used a CPT on a (wheeled) Cal 33-2 for 5 years. The CPT always performed flawlessly and could deliver an amazing amount of torque. Even if the sails were not trimmed correctly the boat would always hold course. I liked the simplicity and ease of adjusting the sensitivity parameters (two knobs). There was no ability to communicate with another instrument (like waypoint(s) from a plotter) but I had no use for that. You might. Self tacking, incremental course change buttons. Great support from CPT. I'd do one again but I'm now on a tillered boat and am using the ST2000+. It works fine on the light displacement S2 7.9.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I assume your'e talking about the EV 100 Wheel Evolution unit? ..or do you have the hydraulic version? I just ordered the "Wheel evolution" unit. Seems like a pretty easy install from some of the videos Iv'e seen. Hell, there's even a video of a couple women doing it in an afternoon.... granted they were a couple O' salty gals. LOL
===========================
Yes, also bought it at Hodges.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice, how did the install go? Do you run it with a chart plotter?
==========================================================
install was fine, quite straight for, I did not put it online with the rest of the electronics mostly based on my preference for simplicity and distrust at the same time.
My Garmin plotter is packaged with the radar and that is as much I tolerate, having chart crowded with radar targets can be confusing for me, so my Vesper AIS Vision is not integrated on the same screen, just have the AIS
on both cell phone and tablets,if I need the AIS at the wheel.
As mentioned, the autopilot crapped out on me on return from an offshore sail, so the loss was limited.
You will enjoy this unit. take care.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts