SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone familiar with the Autohelm 3000 unit? It has a manual compass on it. I can't seem the get the compass to calibrate. There are two lights on either side of the compass. Instructions say that both lights turn off when compass is calibrated. I can't get it to the point that both lights are off.
Any suggestions or experience with this type of unit?

Thanks.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
I'll be dismantling my old one over the next couple of days to see if I can get it working again, maybe I'll discover something :)

·
Banned
325 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but I've been having issues with mine also. It works great for about 10 minutes then out of the blue it just starts turning starboard and keeps turning starboard. I've read somewhere for a fix for this but cannot locate it again. Already had the unit apart once, no obvious problems, cleaned the board and reassembled.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another vote for Captain Dan here. He repaired my unit and replaced a faulty compass. It is now working fine. I hope he is still working on these units.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Similar experiences. My seemed to work fine on a single heading first time I used it. Now it keep turning, won't accept a new heading and /or compass is just way off!

·
Banned
325 Posts
Ok, tested the autohelm after the soldering repairs. I have mixed results. The unit is usable now but not 100% fixed. Was able to sail using the unit for about an hour. Kept the course perfect then started turning starboard again. Reset everything and tried it again sailed for about another hour then it started turning port. That was a first, it had always turned starboard before and would only last for 5 to 10 mins before screwing up.
I will keep tinkering with it and post any updates if I have anymore success. I know I'm not the only one here with this issue. Just happy to have a useable autohelm now.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Shoot son an email he still works on the old auto helm stuff just repaired our 5000 in February heck an email don't cost anything to see if he has any pearls of wisdom to share

·
Banned
325 Posts
Shoot son an email he still works on the old auto helm stuff just repaired our 5000 in February heck an email don't cost anything to see if he has any pearls of wisdom to share
I guess because I'm a mechanic I prefer to do my own work. I've seen the shortcuts other mechanics take sometimes. How many of you have ended up with a striped oil pan plug? Think jiffy lube for that. Electronics, hydraulics, diesel, gas, lp this stuff is not rocket science. Besides is a learning experience, you'll know your boat better. Call me hard headed but I just choose to do this job my self.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
ncc,no flies on you so not trying to tell you anything but many of these electronic glitches can be eyeballed on the printed circuit board.vibration caused solder fracture or our absolute favourite, corrosion.Sometimes flipping the board over and examining the tops of any capacitors for bulging can point the way This is especially true for ac powered stuff.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Well shoot son. What did he charge ya?
Darn auto correct was supposed to be Don Gerhardt not son and Don charged 80 bucks for new drive motor bushings and new fluxgate compass in the control head our linear ram was fine.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I guess because I'm a mechanic I prefer to do my own work. I've seen the shortcuts other mechanics take sometimes. How many of you have ended up with a striped oil pan plug? Think jiffy lube for that. Electronics, hydraulics, diesel, gas, lp this stuff is not rocket science. Besides is a learning experience, you'll know your boat better. Call me hard headed but I just choose to do this job my self.
shoot Don an email like I said tell him your issues he may have some ideas for you to checkout

·
Banned
325 Posts
Darn auto correct was supposed to be Don Gerhardt not son and Don charged 80 bucks for new drive motor bushings and new fluxgate compass in the control head our linear ram was fine.
Awesome autocorrect fubar. I almost wrote something nasty when I first read it but I restrained myself. Just funny as hell now. Thanks for the good laugh.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
I had the AH 3000 on my boat. It was sold with boat, Also did you all know you can "steer" the boat with your cell phone held near the control box on this old AP?

·
Ticon 30
162 Posts
I do have an Autohelm 3000 analog system that I removed from my boat this year. We are planning on extended trips this season so I purchased a new EV100. The system is complete with an extra belt and a plug in remote unit. It was working when I removed it but you had to have patience when you were starting out ( something which I sometimes lack). I have used it where it would go straight for a 25 mile trip first time I turned it on, other times it wanted to meander for a while .I will eventually be listing it on ebay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts