SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
bbennett
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an autohelm 4000 and am looking for a place to find parts. In particular, the drive unit that is attached to the wheel contains a drive belt and a number of smaller wheels on the inside. The smaller wheels ( plastic)are attached to the outer frame ( also plastic) with small screws. The plastic has broken and a couple of the the smaller wheels have broken away. I can probably glue it back, but I dont think that will be very secure. The item is out of production, and the raymarine dealer tells me that parts are no longer available. I hate to turf it and buy a new unit...as it still works. Any idea where I might be able to find these parts.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Ladyhawke: let us know how this goes; I'm in a similar situation (though I haven't figured out what's wrong with mine yet).

·
bbennett
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Autohelm ST4000

Not much help from Raymarine other than to say they don't support it. But I think I solved the problem...in that I drilled straight through the small wheel and the outer frame and secured it with a 5/32 stainless bolt and nut. It will take a 1 1/4" long bolt..use a little locktite..grind off the excess and Bob's your uncle. In fact it is stronger than the original design....and less than $5.00 to repair.

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Try ebay??

Glad you got it fixed! Out of curiosity I tried ebay and noted several st 4000 part kits are available.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I created a google alert for my autohelm ST4000 and my equally obscur Yanmar 2QM20 engine. Every time something shows up on ebay or craigslist I get and email from google.

recently that led me to an ebay auction for a used starter- new $1100 I got it for $120 - cheap insurance.

dave

·
19,488 Posts
Good ingenuity to 'repair' the drive ring... but sadly it may not last. Raymarine does not support this vintage, as noted. Having recently changed to their newer S-1, I'm glad to report that the drive ring is a much better, more robust design that should stand up much better than the old black ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts