SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
bbennett
43 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an autohelm 4000 and am looking for a place to find parts. In particular, the drive unit that is attached to the wheel contains a drive belt and a number of smaller wheels on the inside. The smaller wheels ( plastic)are attached to the outer frame ( also plastic) with small screws. The plastic has broken and a couple of the the smaller wheels have broken away. I can probably glue it back, but I dont think that will be very secure. The item is out of production, and the raymarine dealer tells me that parts are no longer available. I hate to turf it and buy a new unit...as it still works. Any idea where I might be able to find these parts.

·
bbennett
43 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Autohelm ST4000

Not much help from Raymarine other than to say they don't support it. But I think I solved the problem...in that I drilled straight through the small wheel and the outer frame and secured it with a 5/32 stainless bolt and nut. It will take a 1 1/4" long bolt..use a little locktite..grind off the excess and Bob's your uncle. In fact it is stronger than the original design....and less than $5.00 to repair.

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Reaction score
Try ebay??

Glad you got it fixed! Out of curiosity I tried ebay and noted several st 4000 part kits are available.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Reaction score
I created a google alert for my autohelm ST4000 and my equally obscur Yanmar 2QM20 engine. Every time something shows up on ebay or craigslist I get and email from google.

recently that led me to an ebay auction for a used starter- new $1100 I got it for $120 - cheap insurance.

dave

·
19,468 Posts
Reaction score
Good ingenuity to 'repair' the drive ring... but sadly it may not last. Raymarine does not support this vintage, as noted. Having recently changed to their newer S-1, I'm glad to report that the drive ring is a much better, more robust design that should stand up much better than the old black ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.