SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
dadio917
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any way to control these old Seatalk units via a chartplotter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any way to control these old Seatalk units via a chartplotter?
You should be able to use NMEA signals for that. Here's link for the ST1000, need to refer to the owner's manual for more. Also your Chartplotter signal conections. Just takes a little reading.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "control". If you mean control in the sense of allowing it to steer to a wind angle, or a waypoint/route, Clif shows how to get navigation, wind, and other data to it for it to use. If you mean control to mean turning it on/off, dodging, tacking, etc, then it might be possible with an older Raymarine plotter, and it will be impossible with a non-Raymarine plotter.

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea, i've read the stuff but it's not clear. Was wondering if anyone actually had experience. Found this as well which looks very cool, especially for my needs.
BUY Autopilot Replacement Parts | i3DGear
Hi dadio917, a quick look at the i3DGear looks like a nice remote controller for your ST1000 but I saw nothing about working with a Chartplotter. A good place to ask might be at this link Service and Support Around The World | Marine Electronics by Raymarine
Cliff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if there are any differences between Autohem and Raymarine. My boat came with a Raymarine ST1000 and an Eagle chartplotter. IIRC the ST1000 is Seatalk only and couldn't connect to the Eagle. I sold the ST1000 and bought an ST1000+ which has NMEA 183. It connected to the Eagle and I'm now using it with a Standard Horizon. The tiller pilot will track to a waypoint and follow a route. Route following is not automatic though, it won't make a turn for safety reasons but alerts you to push the button to make the turn. I don't have wind instruments but it will follow a wind setting. You would likely need to have a multiplexer to connect more than one or two NMEA devices to the system. If your Autohelm is Seatalk only then you need a Seatalk to NMEA translator. They are available from Actisense, Brookhouse, Shipmodul, DigitalYacht and probably others. This isn't plug-and-play like NMEA 2000 but is doable with a little research.

BTW...tacking is accomplished directly on the autopilot and wouldn't be done with the chartplotter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
check out pypilot.org ... an autopilot computer, a motor controller and full integration with OpenCPN. I am experimenting with it myself right now and it works!

I'm not sure that it can control an st1000+ but I'd say that it's worth looking into.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts