SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the electricians out there: We have an older Autohelm ST1000+ that randomly disengages and displays "800" on the screen.
Initially I thought it was the heat (we live in Bahrain) and the unit gets quite hot during use. Now that the weather is cooler, it is still happening even though I balance the sails as best I can for our heading.
I also thought it might be a power supply issue, but connections appear fine, and it doesn't matter if the batteries are at 100% or 78%. Nothing in the manual about it, no response from Raymarine to my emails, and there is no local dealer with any technical knowledge.

I can't be the only one who's had this issue, and the randomness of failure is perplexing - sometimes it'll work for a few hours, and sometimes a few minutes. Sometimes if it fails I can disconnect power and reconnect and it's fine for a while before dying again. Any help would be greatly appreciated! It's set up on our Sadler25, so underpowered is not the issue.

:svoilier:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Have you ever checked the voltage AT the ap? Even if the batteries are fine, you may have a wiring issue, either wire size or faulty connections.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Your ST1000 thinks it is an Autohelm 800. It has been reset for some reason. There is a way to change this through button pushing:

Hold in the +1 and -10 keys for ten seconds . Unit will display type setting, i.e. 800. Release the keys and hold them in again for another 10 seconds until the display begins flashing the type setting. Toggle this setting to the appropriate type with the plus and minus keys. Repeat holding in the +1 and -10 keys for another 10 seconds to exit this calibration mode and save the changes to the settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stu and Bleemus!
It was indeed both issues: Connection from the unit to the mount was corroded AND it had indeed reset itself.
So,
Rewired the connections. One wire was very corroded, so bad that I could not unscrew the screw, so I rotated it around and did the same with the corresponding wire (the blue one) on the unit.

Fired her up at the dock. No problem. Reset it to ST1000. Sat at the dock with no sails on and at the same angle as we were facing (about 5 degrees). Ran fine for two hours. Job done, or so we thought.

The next day we headed out in a light breeze, about 10-12 knots and dead flat water. Perfect! Temperature around 20 deg C. Autohelm worked fine downwind for about 2 hours. I disengaged it to tack back up wind at a very friendly angle, balanced the sails and reconnected the autohelm. Ran nicely for 45 minutes then went into standby mode again, flashing "1000."

Haven't had a chance to look at it lately but reckon I'll replace the wiring from the switch to the mount, and that connector as well. Will also investigate voltage.
Thanks for the advice. I think you are / were both correct!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts