SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a Raymarine S1 Smartpilot and need some help with a couple of wiring issues.

The Raymarine manual says to "Use flat tinned copper braid, 30 A rating (¼ “) or greater" as an earth strap to ground the computer - in my case directly to the negative pole of the battery. My local electronics store seems to know nothing about selling flat tinned copper braid, although they seem to stock just about everything else electronic. Is flat braid critical for this RF ground or would an equivalent stranded wire (min 4mm diam - 12AWG) be perfectly adequate?

The manual also warns about using only Raymarine supplied ferrites for suppression purposes, but does not make it clear if any ferrites are needed on the power supply cable. Comments? :confused:

·
Registered
896 Posts
I think the flat braid is a good idea. High frequencies are a surface effect, more the better. I once had a customer that was building a computer room right next to a room full of high frequency generators putting out 20 KW each, growing germanium crystals. They directed us to ground the frames of all the High Freqency stuff with 2" wide copper braid, connected to a 4' x 8' sheet of galvanized steel buried outside. They always had interfenece problems in their old building. This installation was completely interference free.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes but.....!

Thanks Gary but if I can not readily obtain the flat braided wire, what do you think about the alternative of using conventional stranded wire instead? I assume that this solution lies somewhere along the scale between "OK but not quite as good" and "a total waste of time and money"!!!

·
19,489 Posts
I've just completed an S-1 install and I used regular stranded 12 g wire without any problems. Go ahead and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ron. This is the conclusion that I was coming to. Hope to see you on the water at the next GYC event.

·
19,489 Posts
Thanks Ron. This is the conclusion that I was coming to. Hope to see you on the water at the next GYC event.
Hi Neil.. we won't be at Silva but will be a Smugglers in July!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts