SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I will be installing an Autopilot on my new to me C&C 110. It seems like Raymarine is the only one who makes a wheel pilot these days. The price is $1400 or so and I can probably install it myself. But, will it work well enough or do I need a below deck pilot? The 110 weighs around 11,000lbs.

My O'day 35 came with an Autohelm 3000 that works fine. It steers great when under power, when the wind is moderate, and the sails are balanced. It does not steer well when the wind is over 20 kts, or downwind with waves. Still, I have used it for 7 years and I was happy with it.

So, will I be happy with the Raymarine Evolution Autopilot EV-100 Wheel Drive or should I spend over $3000 for the Raymarine Evolution Autopilot EV-200 Linear Pack? I doubt I could install that myself since I don't do fabrication well.

Thanks,
Barry

·
Registered
724 Posts
I installed a raymarine wheel pilot on a Pearson 33-2 last year. It is (obviously) a shorter boat, but very similar displacement (11,000lbs). I have been very pleased with the performance. I have certainly used it under sail in greater than 20knt winds with confused seas without problem. The gyroscope seems to handle the challenges of downwind with waves pretty well. I can't speak to the longevity (having had it only a single season) but it has met or exceeded my expectations so far. Below deck would certainly be quieter, but it isn't bad.

·
Sailor
929 Posts
When selecting an autopilot, it's important to consider the boats fully loaded displacement which is often 20% over the number when empty. The Evolution series look very good and well thought out. I am concerned about the pilots ability to manage due to the displacement of your boat. I tried to quickly find a rating for displacement capabilities but wasn't able to locate one.

I consider a pilot to be safety equipment. Consider this: you get caught in a squall but you cannot furl your jib as there is a jam up at the bow. You need the help of your partner so you engage the pilot and both go forward to manage the sail and get back under control. That pilot needs to be able to competently manage the boat in those conditions to keep you safe.

Tod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
845 Posts
So, will I be happy with the Raymarine Evolution Autopilot EV-100 Wheel Drive or should I spend over $3000 for the Raymarine Evolution Autopilot EV-200 Linear Pack? I doubt I could install that myself since I don't do fabrication well.
I hear great things about the new evolution. I have the old linear drive, which gave up the ghost last fall at the worst possible time. I'm sending it in for a rebuild here shortly. I'm actually considering upgrading to the evo.

I think that if you have the room below that you should put it out of sight. Looking at mine i don't think it would be that hard to install.

The wheel pilot has a max load of 16,500 lbs. So you would be at the upper end of the capability of the unit once you are fully outfitted. I also think the linear drive is better protected from the weather down below.

In addition; if you plan on sailing in any heavy weather (20Kts and up) i don't think the wheel pilot will handle it in your boat. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I like the CPT ones! thanks for that

need to save up!

·
Junior member, rest old
498 Posts
Besides being more robust, a below-decks autopilot has the capability of steering the boat should a steering cable break. My boat is too small (C&30) to justify the expense in this economy, but if I had a bigger boat I'd go with a below-decks unit.
Having previously had an exposed-belt wheelpilot (Navico) just going to a Raymarine S1 was a huge improvement.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
my boat came with a massive chain driven(to quadrant) below decks autopilot, it looks like the cpt except mounted below on a wood base, it has a gyroscope or compass sensor on the port side...too bad It doesnt work cause its perfectly installed...

I wonder what one would do to try and fix a non working older type of autopilot...? where to start?

Ill post some pics hopefully somebody will be able to identify it

·
Junior member, rest old
498 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, drive units are just motors that run forward and reverse. Their instructions come from the controllers. Why not test your drive unit and if it's functional, just buy the computer and controllers? If the drive fails someday, you can replace that with a new drive and keep the computer/controllers.
The drive unit is the hardest part to install. If it works, I'd keep it.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yup its a blcak box with gear, moves forward and reverse...with a chain simple to fix that I think...its the control box that has been exposed to sun and basically looks like crap, not even a name on it...

the gyroscope has always been indoors so its in fine fine shape

guess I could start with the motor box first and see if the motor works if it does then Im game to look for a new control box

cause its mounted and all the fuss workd has been done...now the technical brain stuff has to be applied! jajaja

thanks

pd. IO crewed on a big steel boat that had a very big linear drive autohelm pilot it sucked JUICE like nothing else

partly because the owner being very conservative used an autopilot for twice the displacement of his boat...which is very smart to do...but it cost him at the time in spain around 8k...for an autopilot that was his BACKUP to the aries

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
18 Posts
Christian
You could check out the new Garmin autohelm. They will power many old drive units according to the wiring instructions that came with mine. They just need a optional hook up cable
Good Luck

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
oooooooooooh interesting!

·
Registered
23,475 Posts
Wheel pilots are simple, by comparison, to install and repair. However, many below deck APs will connect to the rudder beyond the helm wheel linkage. This give you redundant steering, should your helm linkage break, without having to bring out the old emergency tiller.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I'm kind of going through this same exercise right now. My old Raymarine ST4000 is starting to give up the ghost. It was always undersized for my boat, but it worked fine for a lot of years.

I'd like to have one that hooked directly to the rudder post, but I also always like that I could see when the ST4000 was having problems, and could accordingly balance the sail plan.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I had an autohelm on my last boat, a wheel pilot, and x2 on stuff like belt tension, friction...constantly adjustig etc

having said that I think one like the cpt which is straight down and can be tensioned with a clip would work better as it would be standalone

one thing I hated about this last autohelm wheel pilot was the fact that you had to climb over the moving belt or simpy not use the stbd side cockpit sole and have it clear all the time

yes it was very easy to un clip but during use I didnt like it...

plus if you have flexy lazarette glass you add to the whole stretchy constantly adjusting nature of the thin belt

anywhoo

if I can save up the CPT is looking mighty fine at $1800

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm kind of going through this same exercise right now. My old Raymarine ST4000 is starting to give up the ghost. It was always undersized for my boat, but it worked fine for a lot of years.

I'd like to have one that hooked directly to the rudder post, but I also always like that I could see when the ST4000 was having problems, and could accordingly balance the sail plan.
If you put a belowdeck unit on with a rudder position indicator, you can see whether your sailplan is balanced and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
We have similar boats (yes yours is way nicer) 11,000 dis. LOA about 36+ft. fin keel spaded rudder. I installed the Raymarine WP P-70/fluxgate compass and am very happy with it's performance. It was an upgrade from the Simrad which lasted almost 10 years. I mostly daysail/weekend and coastal cruise. With balanced sails I have had use in 25-30kts with 8-12 ft swells and it handled it well. Quiet and so far very reliable. It was about $1400. which was not cheep for me, however single handing without the AP was a real tiring even on daysails. I am glad to have it, and I think I bought it from this sight too.

Brad
Lancer 36

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hello,

I will be installing an Autopilot on my new to me C&C 110. It seems like Raymarine is the only one who makes a wheel pilot these days. The price is $1400 or so and I can probably install it myself. But, will it work well enough or do I need a below deck pilot? The 110 weighs around 11,000lbs.

My O'day 35 came with an Autohelm 3000 that works fine. It steers great when under power, when the wind is moderate, and the sails are balanced. It does not steer well when the wind is over 20 kts, or downwind with waves. Still, I have used it for 7 years and I was happy with it.

Thanks,
Barry
I'd guess you would be happy, just because of your past experience. We have over 10 years on an ST4000 with a 15,000 disp boat, and when it does give up, I'll get another WP.

We're coastal sailors and have found the WP up to what we need. There are times it won't work and maybe a below decks would, but it's not worth the cost or installation time for what we do.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
We had a Raymarine wheel pilot on our previous boat (34' steel sloop). We were right on the edge of the weight limit but at no time did we experience any problems. My only complaint is that wheel pilots and/or tiller pilots tend to be a bit noisy. the key to keeping them running happily is to keep the boat well balanced. If you have bucket loads of weather helm then your wheel pilot is bound to get a tad testy.

Current boat has below decks and one could not complain at all. We did have a squeaky drive unit but that has been fixed and the thing is very quiet indeed.

So .... by choice I'd go below deck but on a smaller boat and keeping in mind the unit costs and installation expense of below deck then I'd be content with WP.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
allright guys found out I have a cetec BENMAR AP...below deck

pics to come

they are made or sold in santa ana, ca

Ill start a new thread for those interested

its a lot bigger than I thought

1 - 20 of 38 Posts