SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've developed a wireless remote control for ST1000 / ST2000 autopilots. The genuine Raymarine remotes are very expensive so I decided to make one myself. Search youtube for ST1000 remote control to see a couple of videos of the prototype I made which had an LCD display for testing purposes. I've since made everything into a small, neat box. I'll try to get some video of it in action out sailing tomorrow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice!

Got any details, parts list, circuit board, etc? I'd jump on the opportunity to buy a kit I could solder together myself.

Edit: Oh it's an arduino project... cool.

--Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice!

Got any details, parts list, circuit board, etc? I'd jump on the opportunity to buy a kit I could solder together myself.

Edit: Oh it's an arduino project... cool.

--Chris
Hi Chris,

I haven't really thought about 'kits' but I could let you have a pre-programmed microcontroller, two remote transmitters & receiver and a circuit diagram for $75 plus postage if you want to build it yourself. The microcontroller and the transmitters/receivers are the heart of the system - the rest of the parts are discrete components which you can get anywhere as well as a box to put it all in.

I should also point out that I'm a hobbyist - not a commercial enterprise!

Cheers,
Neil.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I had no luck with getting any video done yesterday. We were in a hurry to get to the start and had no time to muck around. I did have my sports cam in use but it keeps getting condensation inside it which makes everything look foggy. Next time I'll put the camera in its case after letting cool dry air from the car air conditioner blow over both the case and the camera for a few minutes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still no new video but I have now added 'Wind Mode' selection as a function. Now by pressing Buttons a and B together you can put the autopilot into Wind Mode. Of course the autopilot must be receiving data from a wind instrument before it will enter Wind Mode, so for my testing purposes I had to program my test remote to send (made up) wind data also.

Here's a direct link to a video of a remote being tested (not with Wind Mode though)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At last I've got the first batch of printed circuit boards for my remote controls. I'll be using these from now on and am very happy with them!

I'll post some shots of a completed one soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't posted here for a while. The remotes have been keeping me busy as they have been quite popular and are now installed in boats in the US, Canada, Thailand, the UK, New Zealand and of course Australia. One has gone to Germany too.
I've since created a website (not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to it so I won't) and am working on a new model remote as well as a NMEA to WiFi bridge.

Here's a photo of the finished product...

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
What is your contact information please?

Regards,
Brad

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Since my email isn't doing too well, what are you charging for the remote setup? Other details please.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since my email isn't doing too well, what are you charging for the remote setup? Other details please.

Regards,
Brad
Hi again,

I guess because you're asking directly it's ok to respond. I'm selling the remotes for A$180 plus trackable postage (A$20 to the US) so a total of around US$185 at the current exchange rate.
The remotes come with two waterproof wireless fobs. These are truly waterproof and can be submersed with no problem.
The fobs each have 4 buttons which provide the following functionality...

+1 degree
-1 degree
+10 degrees
-10 degrees
Auto tack to port
Auto tack to starboard
Select Auto mode
Select Standby mode
Select Wind Vane mode
Select Track mode

I supply 5m of screened cable and connection is via 3 wires (+12V, 0V and SeaTalk) with the remote itself only requiring 2 screws to mount in a suitable location (dry, not subject to damage, not obstructed so as to affect reception range).

For ST1000+ and ST2000+ the cable is run to the back of the autopilot's socket where the 3 wires are terminated.

For ST4000+ the cable is run to the back of the display and connected via small spade connectors (I don't supply these).

For course computers the cable is run to a spare SeaTalk port at the course computer. All 3 wires terminate at the SeaTalk port. (Alternatively it could be connected at a spare SeaTalk port of an ST6002 or ST70).

Installation takes only a few minutes in any case.

I can't ship batteries for the fobs due to Australia Post restrictions on lithium batteries so 2 x CR2016 batteries (good quality ones!) need to be purchased locally and installed in each fob before the remote can be used.
I expect battery life to be at least 12 months and hopefully much longer.

I'll refund the purchase price and postage costs if you are unhappy and return the remote in the first 30 days. (No one has done this yet and I have had zero complaints).
I'll repair the remote free of charge in the first 12 months (just pay the postage).
I'll repair the remote with free labour (just pay for postage and parts) in the 2nd 12 months.

Basically, if you're not happy with it I'll sort it out for you.

Google Madman Marine to find my website where I have a brief video, some photos and a manual which can be downloaded. Purchasing can be done via the website too.

There's nothing better than standing at the bow and steering your boat! Or auto tacking without having to go near the autopilot and just having to manage the sheets. I use the autotack function from the bow to gybe the boat while I look after the spinnaker when sailing single-handed.
A local person reported that he was sitting on the head (where he is able to see out the windows of his 20' trailer sailer) and was steering with one of my remotes during a downwind leg of our race last Sunday!
It's a very handy thing to have.

Cheers,
Neil.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've now got a new model remote control for sale. It is all solid state, a little bit lighter and uses less power than the original model.
The redesigned electronics has given me more room inside the receiver module so I am now able to offer an external antenna as an option. The external antenna will be ideal for larger boats using the course computer type autopilots .
PM me for details.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts