SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
sorry for being the guy that bursts in as 'first post' new-to-the-forum and directly has an inquiry. I have been lurking for some 2 years now, and this sort of urgent, that's why I am doing it.

I know that it is not the right time of the year, too... but, as we say in Germany, "fragen kostet nichts", which translates to "asking is free of charge" (further meaning: but you might not get the answers you would like to hear.) - I am a german male, 34 years old, currently in Miami.

I am looking for a ride from Florida to the Bahamas, where my boat, a 37' Gulfstar sloop, is located. I would totally split or share the trip/diesel expenses or even put some more in your kitty, as the other option is going by plane. I've got a load of boat parts - 2 XXL suitcases - to transport, the excess weight charge if checking it in on a plane would be triple the cost of 10 hours diesel operation (well, depends on the diesels I guess :) ), not to mention the eventuality of any Bahamian customs officer having a bad day and making assumptions on my used parts being new.

I am a handsome, quiet guy who knows how to sail.

So, if you are headed from anywhere in Florida to anywhere in the Bahamas in the next couple of days, and you would like to help out this nice young man here standing in the rain on the dock with his two large suitcases looking sad and depressed, missing his lovely boat... then please contact me here!

Thanks for reading,
Daniel (S/V Gypsy Spirit)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Okay, I've just reread my own post and realized it seems a bit weird. Why in the world would you let a totally unknown foreign stranger with two large suitcases on board your vessel, crossing international borders, on short notice? What could possibly go wrong?

Clarification: I know it is not 1975 and maybe these things just don't work anymore because people are afraid you are some sort of druglord or axe murderer. I am neither, I just try to avoid the hassles of air travel, and I am more than willing to put the amount of money into someones boat kitty then into any airlines excess baggage fee register. Also, I like sailing more than flying.

Thank you for your attention.
Daniel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Whitebread117 for the bump.

I never got response to any of my posts on the 'other' sites too, so I assume a) there is simply no one going this week b) people are more afraid than curious c) nobody needs extra money, everyone's fine :)
Or d) the impression I made is just grim and its my fault. I tend to a) or d)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Capt Shad,

Experience: some charter in the med. Sailing around the north sea and baltic sea. Bought my boat 3/14 in St. Pete and was sailing it around Florida to the Bahamas. German recreational skippers/captains license.

Destination: Well, Abaco. Somewhere I can catch a ferry to Marsh Harbour.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok guys, I am altering my request... I have to fly over on monday. But I can't take the parts and solar panels with me onto the plane. I am offering 400 bucks to anyone who is going over to the bahamas next week and willing to take my stuff with him. This is the amount equaling the excess baggage fees. You can definetly go rummage thru the parts and check everything to your convenience, you won't find drugs, I'm sorry :p
even if you just take the panels, it would be of great help!!
thanks
daniel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to let you guys know: I found a potential solution. A really nice person just happened to sent me an email this morning, we went on a sailing daytrip afterwards, and maybe he's taking me & my stuff to West End or so the next couple of days. So this story seems to come to a favorable outcome. Cheers,
Daniel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.