SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone!

It's been a while since I have visited. Sold the Vega 6 years ago, bought a C&C and sold that two years ago swearing I would never own another boat....we know how that story ends..

So, I am looking for moorings from Casco Bay to Mid Coast Maine. I don't really need a marina per se nor do I need a yacht club though I really enjoyed having the Vega at Handy Marine for several years.

Any advice out there who I might contact? I have had little luck with emails...seems most of these boat yards prefer calls or simply don't check their emails.

I had my Sabre 28' on a beautiful little mooring in Northport with a short row to shore many years ago but forgot who I contacted about that and I live almost an hour further away now.

The boat I am negotiating is a 23' Alberg...3700lbs so I can get away with a small set up..only draws about 2' 6"

Thanks everyone in advance!
Fair Winds
Chris :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
You might look on craigslist.. I have seen a few there.. Recently, I saw one for sale in Belfast
Just a thought..
I'm a newb in Auburn.. likely freshwater for the foreseeable future
Cheers,
Rich

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
The answer to your question will vary according to the port or marina you're dealing with, so there will be a different person to contact in each place. Sometimes it will be the Harbormaster, and you provide your own tackle. Other times the Marina operations manager might be the guy, and you use their tackle. From dealing with Handy's in Falmouth, it seems like you should know the score. It sounds like you might need to get on the phone and then follow up with an email to show you mean business. Space seems to be tight this season, so an email coming in about a boat that is "considering" a mooring might get deleted almost instantaneously. They're too busy for 'what if" situations, and your scatter-shot approach -- Casco Bay to Mid-Coast -- is so vague that it might be difficult for a provider to take you seriously.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Then there's the ones I hear about , who just look for an open mooring & hope for the best... I'm not a fan of that approach.. way too much opportunity for conflict

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Grabbing an open mooring really does require hoping for the best. In many locations you may not have any idea what the float is attached to. You hope it's a 1000 pound concrete block, and not a 10 pound one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Grabbing an open mooring really does require hoping for the best. In many locations you may not have any idea what the float is attached to. You hope it's a 1000 pound concrete block, and not a 10 pound one.
lol, yeah that could get interesting..
good point

1 - 6 of 6 Posts