SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geetings,
I''m presently fitting out our boat to go cruising.We''re switching from a diesel cook stove and a diesel/keresene cabin heater to a propane stove and heater.
I''m wondering about the availibity of propane
throughout the West Indies and South America.
Getting our 20# tanks refilled,and if they use American or European fittings?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I read your message about propane. I found Propane in St Thomas, Tortola and further down no problem. The problem I had was with aluminum bottles. They put an additive in that corrodes aluminum and have a prohibition about filling aluminum tanks in some places. Propane is very abundant throughout and I never heard of fitting problems. Bob

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, did you take aluminum bottles? Did you have any trouble getting them filled? Would you advise one to take two kinds of bottles or just the steel ones?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there lucky one.

I am a swede , and based in Stockholm just now , but me and my wife have been out there
18 years ,in two diffrent boats , the first a
31 foot wood , and the second a 43 foot steel
we have used propane around the world , and never have we had any problem to find gas, we
are using the P11 bottle of europ standard ,
they use the same fitting as your american standard, the P11 stands for 11 kg. witch
translate to 25 lbs , and we have two of these , and living aboard fulltime ,will last 4 month, but we still use our Newport
heater for warmth.
we have filled our bottles in sweden ,canary
isl, panama , suva fiji , in aussie land we had to rent a bottle and fill over , as they don´t fill uncertified bottles, mauritius,
south africa ,brasil and the w.i.so I don´t think that you have to worry.

enjoy life.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just the Steel Ones. The aluminum ones came with the boat and I ditched them eventually. I was touring in 85 and they did fill them then but later on they stopped so I switched to slightly bigger steel bottles. They are the ones for twenty bucks you can buy for outdoor grilles. Keep them painted!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah Swede Family Robinson......you ever need help moving the Boat send me E-mail. Look me up on Sailnet.BobRivard 37'' O''day BVI West Indies

Bob Rivard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts