SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having never done one before, I am wondering what the average cost of a survey for a 30 foot boat would be? I wanted to have a general idea before I started calling around.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,213 Posts
$15-20/foot. As a general guideline, all else being equal, hire the more expensive surveyor.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I am in Seattle: $8-$12/foot plus the cost of the quick haul (around $300 for haul/powerwash/environment fee). So about $600 on a 30' boat.

On most boats it more than pays for itself in smaller issues that are found. A surveyor's written sheet is often worth more than you finding and mentioning items to the seller.

I bought one boat without a survey or quick haul, but don't think I would do it again. There is a lot to be learned from seeing the bottom.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Price will vary for a pre-purchase survey (more expensive) vs an insurance survey (cheaper). A pre-purchase survey, short haul, and sea trial should take 6-8 hours.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
On most boats it more than pays for itself in smaller issues that are found. A surveyor's written sheet is often worth more than you finding and mentioning items to the seller.
I would be careful with this statement. I don't really agree that a survey will likely affect the price. I have purchased three boats after surveying, and the price didn't change at all after the survey. Maybe it's because I drove a hard bargain on the original purchase price and told the broker that I promised to not nickel and dime them after the survey. I look at the survey has a way to make a go / no go decision on the purchase and to learn a whole lot about the boat in a short period of time.

On my second boat the survey showed that some lines were not run that I expected to be run. So I told the broker he needed to get the reefing lines and lazy jacks run (I was new to bigger boats and didn't know how to do that). The survey also showed a few 'issues' with the engine, but I didn't bother the broker with them b/c they weren't severe.

On my current boat the survey showed a few light bulbs out and some equipment missing that I thought was present but not operational (DC inverter). Again, I just accepted that and went through with the deal. IMHO, the boat was priced as if a lot of gear was defective but I have already repaired a few things for very little $.

Barry

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
chesapeake....$10/hr and up plus the cost of a short haul....5-8 hours for a thorough, engine would be extra cost item, as well as a true rigging survey.

best of luck

·
Registered
968 Posts
$20 to $24 per foot plus buyer paying short haul cost is the going rate in the Annapolis - upper/central Chesapeake area.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Based on a survey I had done yesterday it costs about $10 a minute.

Reactions: boatpoker

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
$20 to $24 per foot plus buyer paying short haul cost is the going rate in the Annapolis - upper/central Chesapeake area.
This was about what I found - though mine was on the upper end of that...plus a bit. He was very, very good though. No regrets.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just paid $12/ft plus travel cost for an insurance survey. ~$600. The boat's on the hard and work was performed by a licensed guy in the Bahamas working for a well-known and highly regarded surveyor on the mainland. What I got, literally, was a copy of a survey performed on this yacht by the same company for the PO two years ago with the date changed. I didn't need professional information, luckily, just a current and credible document for an insurance company. Still, it seems like a lot to pay for such blatant plagiarism. (-2 for not even changing the font !!!)

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
I would be careful with this statement. I don't really agree that a survey will likely affect the price. I have purchased three boats after surveying, and the price didn't change at all after the survey. Maybe it's because I drove a hard bargain on the original purchase price and told the broker that I promised to not nickel and dime them after the survey. I look at the survey has a way to make a go / no go decision on the
purchase and to learn a whole lot about the boat in a short period of time.

...The survey also showed a few 'issues' with the engine, but I didn't bother the broker with them b/c they weren't severe.

On my current boat the survey showed a few light bulbs out and some equipment missing that I thought was present but not operational (DC inverter). Again, I just accepted that and went through with the deal. ...

Barry
I think the statement is valid. Barry, it sounds like you chose not to use the issues found through the surveys to negotiate new prices. Maybe because they weren't that big of a deal to you. In your particular case no, the survey didn't get you a better price because you chose (probably correctly) not to use it for negotiations.

In our case the surveyor went along on our sea trial with the owner and I think that made it a lot easier to handle a final offer.

I agree wholeheartedly that the survey is used as part of the decision making process.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I have never owned this big a boat with all the systems, so I will probably pay for most complete survey I can. Big difference between a Compac 16 and a 30 foot O'day.

I am not good at haggling with people over price, and that has always been a downfall of mine. I feel that what he is offering is a fair price, maybe not the deal of the century.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
After we were off the boat and away from the owners, our surveyor told us the average price range of other Catalinas he had surveyed in similar condition. It wasn't far from the asking price.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,489 Posts
I had 1½ surveys when I bought my boat. My COST of a survey (in the Northeast) was $100 hour for the first guy, plus the cost of a short haul ($250) and powerwash ($150).

The surveyor started the survey, and we found an issue that would stop the survey after about 3 hours. I had him continue for an extra hour, because I had already paid him for 4 hours (his "policy" was 1/2 projected fee up front; Cash or Credit Card). I would have had him come back to finish, except that he then tacked on an additional $200 for "travel" (the boat was in Portsmouth, and he was coming all the way from Newport RI - about 6 miles).

I then hired another surveyor, who charged $22/ft. He completed a survey, which was acceptable for my insurance company.

Frankly, I was rather disappointed with the whole process. I view the survey requirement as another part of the cost of my boat insurance.

Regarding the valuation number included with the survey; the surveyor that completed the report asked me what I agreed to pay. He then entered this number in the appropriate section of the report.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts