SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,901 Posts
We've got a Passport 40 with teak decks. We're going to keep them until they start creating leaks in the cabin, and then we'll rip them out and probably replace them with fiberglass. Many Passport 40 owners have already done this. Don't let the teak decks dissuade you from a boat you love - our P40 is an incredible vessel. If you are adamant about this and can't find a P40 with glass decks, check out the Caliber LRC - very similar style and quality.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,901 Posts
We have the v-berth forward model for the exact reason you mention. We couldn't see using a forward head in big seas. Even using the head just aft of the berth (in our configuration) is interesting at times. Just remember this rule - real sailors sit. Our Passport also had a head in the aft cabin but we removed it for extra storage. It would have been the best one to use in heavier seas.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,901 Posts
We agree... the galley, among other things, is a great aspect of the P40. BTW - if you can find a Passport 41, they are a Passport 40 with a "sugar scoop"ish transom - identical in all other ways. There's an active Passport mailing list at Passport Owners | Google Groups

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,901 Posts
Depends on where you go... in the US, it's very expensive, ranging from $25k-$60k. I've heard many recommendations to go to Mexico or the Dominican Republic to get your decks redone. Another Passport 40 owner had their decks redone in Mexico for about $15k.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts