SailNet Community banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hmmm ... good to know about the limited galley. We like to cook, as well. I like the look of the Caliber, but have yet to actually get on one. Does the Passport 40 compare well, or are you referring to the Passport 41/42?

Anyone ever read anything about adding the swim step to a 38?

I got on another Valiant 40 the other day and confirmed my earlier observations of them ... nice boat with tiny berths and a skosch too short. Headroom maybe 6'2 and berth less than 6'.

The Passport has a slightly better PHRF rating and points a bit higher from what I've read.

·
Abysmally Stupid
497 Posts
Yes - the Passport 40's galley is fantastic, large with lots of storage. Best galley I have seen in a 38'-42' boat. I have got a Catalina 400 which has got a pretty good and large galley but I still prefer the Passport 40 Galley ( a friend of mine owns a Passport 40 so I am familiar with the boat)

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,901 Posts
We agree... the galley, among other things, is a great aspect of the P40. BTW - if you can find a Passport 41, they are a Passport 40 with a "sugar scoop"ish transom - identical in all other ways. There's an active Passport mailing list at Passport Owners | Google Groups

·
Registered
83 Posts
What's a ballpark figure for having teak decking removed and replaced with fiberglass on 40 footer?

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,901 Posts
Depends on where you go... in the US, it's very expensive, ranging from $25k-$60k. I've heard many recommendations to go to Mexico or the Dominican Republic to get your decks redone. Another Passport 40 owner had their decks redone in Mexico for about $15k.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I know this is a few months later, but I always feel there should be follow-ups on these posts for folks like me who are researching ...

I've checked out the Passport 40 and Tayana 42 with center cockpit - no luck yet finding an aft cockpit Tayana or Caliber to get on, but have a chance to check out a Caliber new on the market this weekend.

My research has found the Tayana 42 is a very nice boat, sells about $20 - $30k less than the Passport according to BUC values assuming similar condition, equipment, etc. They are both just a hair more than 6'3" interiors. The Tayana center cockpit fails on the height for me in the cockpit - the boom comes across at about 5'10". This seems both dangerous and inconvenient (bimini would have to fit under) for me to deal with at 6'3". The PHRF ratings put the Passort 40 (141) fastest, Caliber 38 (150) a few seconds behind that (with slightly less pointing ability), and the Tayana supposedly a 150 rating but that probably thanks to much more sail area. None of them are rocket ships.

The Tayana and Passport both have beautiful interiors though.

As for the original point of the thread ... leaning toward just living with the teak decks if I have to. It's all about trade-offs and the Caliber may or may not fit the bill. I'll try to update if I get more info from visiting a Caliber.

Prices seem to vary a good bit, but BUC would tend to indicate in today's market a decent Tayana 42 will go for maybe $100K, a Passport 40 $120K, and a Caliber seems to go along with the Passport with maybe a bit more pricey - LRC version is way more than I care to spend. I know it all varies by region, condition, seller's circumstances, etc., but the point of this post is to report what I've observed in a few months of research. Yes, there is a beautiful, heavily customized P-40 listed for over $200k here in Seattle and I've been on it, but it has dropped about 25% and still sits at the dock. A Tayana 42 here I've also been on has dropped $25k and still sits at the dock ... now at $115K. If you are in the market and want more info on either, PM me and I'll fill you in but both seem to be potentially good boats for the right buyer. We would likely have put an offer in on the Tayana if it weren't for my concerns with the boom height.

I'd like to buy in the next year, but I still have three years before I actually head out. I'm still curious about the notion that any of these boats can't be bought and outfitted for $150K, but that may be my inexperience talking. That, and this has definately turned into a buyer's market.

Any observations are welcome and still very open to other boat suggestions. I must be getting closer to actually buying as I keep hearing that I'll know the right boat when I see it and feel it, and the Passport 40 is clearly the boat that has hit me that way so far.

·
Registered
993 Posts
We paid considderably more for the Tayana 42 than 100kish. I think our final settle was 140ish - and that may have ben a steal. It was an 88/89 model. Aft cockpit.

I find BUC very missleading. Soldboats.com is a better ballpark.

I really like the Passports too - jus tmaking an observation.

- CD

·
moderate?
996 Posts
I agree with CD...there are lots of cheaply priced Tayanas out there with BIG problems just waiting for "adoption". If you want a good one it will run you significantly more than 100k.
Call a broker...get the list of sales in the last year or so from soldboats.com and pick the most expensive price. That is likely close to what a good T42 will sell for...or just a bit below it given the worsening economic climate.

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
One boat that is not mention is a Morgan I/O.. Bluewater and the headroom you need along with the price you are looking for. While not my favorite boat there a many that have cruised the world. I would look for a late model 1980's boat. There are certain models that would fit your needs but I am not familiar with them. I am sure the experts here would chime in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Wow, just throwing out some prices got the thread going again. :)

I appreciate any and all input. Cruisingdad, I am curious when you bought your boat at $140K? Did it have any major problems at that price? I readily admit that looking at a few boats is a total crapshoot for trying to set value in any market - probably moreso than ever in today's economy. I've been nosing around boats for a few years now and I'd say there is a striking difference in broker attitudes here in Seattle since the economic downturn began. Pre-economy problems brokers would confidently assure me how the boat was worth asking and was a "steal." Now I generally find that within 15 minutes of serious discussion (including discovering I have a solid job and intent to buy) the price begins dropping all on it's own - usually by tens of thousands. I wouldn't claim that is the case on all boats - I'm sure much depends on how interested the seller is in moving the boat - but the only constant I know in every case is me.

In doing research on BUC and Soldboat.com I found that they are both based on reported sale prices - so I would think the one should be relatively as accurate as the other. Soldboat.com seems to only include broker-reported sales to Yachtworld while BUC is based on all sales, which may very likely drive down the BUC average since non-broker sales will generally be cheaper. I suggest also that for those willing to walk docks, etc., BUC may potentially be more accurate overall as it would include a larger sample-size.

Having said all of that, I should also clarify something I should have included with the latest post now under discussion ... I expect to put at least 30 - 40% addiitional into any boat I plan to sail away in - so the values I posted are for average condition ... the Tayana I suspect I could get for around $100K already has about $30K work I know I would have to do/get done. My mental ball park budget would have a completed value of $140 - $150K.

Please don't take any of this reply to be argumentative. I really appreciate the input and I fully recognize that I can only guesstimate most of this stuff based on research and limited exposure. The only way to really know will of course be when I make an offer, buy a boat, and discover all the unknown work awaiting me. But I do have to temper the welcome advice by factoring in the current economic climate, my own patience and negotiating skills, and whatever I can learn by talking to people and walking docks.

Melrna - thanks for suggesting the Morgan. I'll check it out further. It seems like I've looked into the Morgans before, but I can't recall why I ended up dropping it. I'll go look into it some more.

Time for me to run, but please give any feedback you can. It is appreciated.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.