SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Edel 665 has the small lazerette in the aft starboard corner of the cockpit. It is held in place by gravity after the back edge is tucked under a "J" shaped piece of metal. Removal is easy but you then have to lay it loose while you fish around inside of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can improve with hinges?

Thanks.

(Excuse the dirt....2+ years of sitting on the hard next to a major downtown Toronto highway and garbage truck depot does that to you.)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
That is awkward. I think you'd have to hinge it so it opens forward. Maybe use nylon webbing instead of stainless hinges so you can make it flexible enough to lay out 180 degrees on to the seat forward of it.
Replace the "J" hook with a toggle or latch so it stays in place?

·
19,488 Posts
Seems to me you could hinge it along the inboard edge (to the center section at the tiller head) and open up and inboard. You may need some spacers for the right clearance, but a good SS piano hinge could be installed there with not much protruding onto the seating area.

Alternately a couple of good quality standard hinges would work there as well. Remove the current 'j' piece and install a proper latch in the corner, or a sliding bolt could be incorporated into the 'lid' itself perhaps.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I'm with Faster. I think the "left" edge of the cover is the only place you can put a hinge and still open the cover without it hitting something. That will leave it awkwardly in the middle of things. I suppose the laternative is to put some big pieces of industrial velcro on the cover, and find a flat spot to stick it to once you've removed it. That way at least it will be firmly in place when you have it off.

An alternative might be to put a reinforcing rail across the top of the lazarette and then split the cover in two. Keep the main (left side) part of it as a simple rectangular cover and hinge it on the aft side, and leave the outboard piece down and fixed. A bit of lost access, a bit of a project, but that would let you hinge the main part of the cover on the rear side in a conventional manner.

·
Registered
23,984 Posts
There is an upside to having a removable cover. Hinges and latches routinely get bent and broken. Especially, if the lid is left open and is hit and hyper-extended. That may be a real risk, if you add one to the left side of the pic.

A couple of industrial strength magnets mounted on either side of the laz compartment with a plate attached to the underside of the lid, would probably do the trick. You can lose the unsightly latch and bracket altogether. I might consider a permanent lanyard that kept the lid from going overboard, if I was rummaging around underway.

·
19,488 Posts
There is an upside to having a removable cover. Hinges and latches routinely get bent and broken. Especially, if the lid is left open and is hit and hyper-extended. That may be a real risk, if you add one to the left side of the pic.

A couple of industrial strength magnets mounted on either side of the laz compartment with a plate attached to the underside of the lid, would probably do the trick. You can lose the unsightly latch and bracket altogether. I might consider a permanent lanyard that kept the lid from going overboard, if I was rummaging around underway.
Good alternative.. should be plenty far enough from your compass...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think you could put hinges on the side with the J-hook or on the aft/inside wall of the transom. Although you will have to reduce some of the edge to the cover but not all of the edge where the hinges go so it will lift on the hinge side. As such you may want to secure some sort of gasket to help keep water out on the top edge of the lazarette.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good alternative.. should be plenty far enough from your compass...
I will do that. Thanks folks.

Compass is 4-5 feet away, to the right of the drop boards.

My brother-in-law is in the precious minerals business...I will ask if he has magnets laying about. I hate paying for stuff.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
K.I.S.S. The hatch works well now; the only trouble is the worry about somehow losing it when it's open. As Minnewaska suggests, running a very light line (on kayaks they use fishing monofilament) through a small hole drilled in an unobtrusive corner of the hatch, and then tying the other end to a bolt or screw fitted inside the lazarette will solve the problem and not bother the compass or the brother-in-law.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Before you go cutting and drilling, make a corrigated cardboard template of the existing lid, then one edge at a time tape to abutting surfaces to check where you will get full swing up access, using the tape as the hinge. Common sense will tell you what works/what doesn't. For me, magnets are out, but the lanyard idea has potential.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
I am with Minnie and Faster, there is a lot to be said for complete acess and hinges over time on lazzarette seats with my fat ass on therm tend to work their way out and get bent.

Good ideas to keep it from going overboad and wander in away. I would pu a rounded flat head bolt through it with an eye underneath the cover. use a line with a carrabeaneer fitting on oine end with the other end of thin line permanently attached to the inside of the lazzaette wall via an eye. This way you have a quick disconnect if you want to remove the hatch by just taking the carabeanier of the inside eye

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts