SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to undertake the total restoration of a Catalina 27 that was very recently awlgripped. Given that I'll be cleaning, stripping, doing glass work, etc... are there any precautions I need to protect the awlgrip? I've heard that some cleaners/compounds are harmful to awlgrip but unsure what I should avoid or how to protect it during the resto.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Were do I start :)

Well for example when I restored the Cal 29 I left it for the very LAST THING

For example very late in the game and issue came up with the starboard hull/deck joint and various bulkhead tabbing

These repairs required extensive grinding/sanding INSIDE the hull but the HEAT could have easily damaged the paint had it been done

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
I'd almost be tempted to cover it completely with taped-on 6 mil poly during any extensive work. Use good masking tape so it won't be a PITA to get off. Awlgrip is pretty tough stuff but not indestructible. Although resistant to Acetone and the like once it's dry, I wouldn't let any potential solvent (activator, thinner, etc.) used in the restore work stay on it for very long. Protecting it from overspray, ladders, abrasion, etc. will be the main problem so covering it with poly might really help. When you're covered in epoxy from head to foot sometimes it's hard to not get it all over everything. Murphy's Law will also intercede to make sure any dripping will end up on the new Awlgrip:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts