SailNet Community banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
"Without my permission."
Ask the Awl rep to give you something in writing after his inspection, and note that it has apparently been buffed. if you have to get legal (court or lawyers) about this, there's probably a separate cause for damages resulting from any unconsented work on the boat, maybe a criminal trespass charge against the yard. that probably wouldn't be a biggie--but it would be another negotiating point, as to whether you were to press or drop charges. Once you go from civil to criminal, a lot of lawyers will say "Get rid of this fast, pay the man."

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
We did meet with the Awlgrip rep this week and followed up with the yard afterwards. What I am about to write is probably going to surprise most of you following this thread, especially given the pictures and information I've posted. Recall, the yard did buff the hull.

Amazingly, the Awlgrip factory technical sales rep inspected the repair and pronounced it suitable. He spent 30-45 minutes with us, closely inspecting the paint, both in the buffed areas and adjacent areas. He found no signs of heavy handed buffing: no scratching, no swirl marks, etc. The rep very clearly stated that he felt with proper care (and application of Awlcare polish), the paint would wear evenly. I can't say I agree, but I also have no ground to argue against this opinion.

Now, there is still some damage around the bootstripe. The yard has agreed to repaint the stripe at their cost. They are also going to clean and polish the entire hull, after which there will be a final evaluation of the repairs. I was pleased they did finally admit their error and take some responsibiity.

In the end, I had to make a decision to accept the judgement of the Awlgrip rep and the offer of the yard, or likely face a long drawn out battle with lawyers and insurance.

I am satisfied....for now, but I am reserving judgement until the Awlcare polishing has been completed. I suppose we truly won't know until a few months down the road. If I have a hull that looks like a checkerboard...I know that I made the wrong choice.

If you guys have more specific questions, I didn't answer, post em up and I'll fill in the details.

Jason

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Amazing. They're the experts (Awl)...but was the guy willing to make his statement in writing, in any way? I'd believe him completely--if he was willing to make it formal.

I've heard too many folks say "I never said that" even when you play back the tape that proves they did. (Funny how that happens, these are the events that eventually MADE me a cynic. You collect two dozen boxtops from smiling liars, send 'em in, and you get back your card-carrying-cynic card. Honest.)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I have to think that coming out on the RECORD that Awlgrip can NOT be repaired buy anything other than a compleat repaint is not in THERE best interest;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
After reading this post I checked with my yard. They do about 12 Awlgrip hulls a year and are next door to the factory. First they where surprised to hear Awlgrip has a warranty. The yard doing the painting is the warranty. Also, they see no problem with a light buffing and have never seen it require more Awlcare applications.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts