SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a new Blog entry where I write chapter one of the history of the Baba's, This goes back to include the Hans Christian 36 and 34, Tayana 37 and even some Valiant history.

I try to write these entries in a way that will give you information that you can;pt get from anyone else. I don;lt always get history correct but when I have a memory gap I make something up that sounds about right and makes me look good.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Owl:
In the mid 70's the buyers of these boats could be a couple of school teachers. Financing was easy and you did not have to be wealthy to buy a cruising boat. I don't recall prices except one. When the Valiant 40 was introduced as I recall the base price was $63,500 but to really sail it away was around $74,000. I think I paid $63,000 for my Esprit 37.

My buddy Bernie got one of the last Valiant 42/40's built and I think he had almost $500,000 into it.

"Strange times Archie, strange times."

Why did I not get involved building the boat and selling them? I had many chances to do this but I never wanted to be a boat salesman.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jeff:
Yes, that Bernie but I thought it was the world's greatest authority on exploding fastenings.

Regardless you always know for sure that Bernie is the world's greatest authority on something. If not, he'll tell you. He's a great pal.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Shank:

Glads you enjoyed the read.
Never been to Mayalasia, Dont know what "KK" is.
My trips to Asia have been to Japan, China and Taiwan with most of my time in Taiwan.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just posted a long note from Bob Berg aka Baba on my blog.
It adds some interesting details to the Baba story and clears up some areas where my memory was less than perfect.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.