SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of my fellow back pain sufferers rely on some kind of inversion rig
when on the boat for lengthy periods and if so, how so?
Inquiring minds want to Know :) ;)

·
Registered
22,148 Posts
Had to think of what an inversion rig is. You mean hanging yourself upside down to stretch your vertebra?

Get the boots, tie them to a halyard and up you go, with a cam cleat at the mast base. Seems simple. I would also like to take a pic of someone doing it at anchorage. :)

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Had to think of what an inversion rig is. You mean hanging yourself upside down to stretch your vertebra?

Get the boots, tie them to a halyard and up you go, with a cam cleat at the mast base. Seems simple. I would also like to take a pic of someone doing it at anchorage. :)
I don't think I'd want to hang head down dependent on a cam cleat.

·
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the cam cleat would require a bit more faith than can summon....I honestly thought someone might be doing it hmmmm.....

·
Registered
825 Posts
I recall some research showed 10 degrees was effective. That should not be difficult with say a ply base and roughly 18" elevation.

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
I was thinking if you have a mast mounted winch you could winch your feet up and hang next to the mast. Just winch up, cleat it off then when your ready to come down just ease the halyard on the winch.

·
Registered
22,148 Posts
I don't think I'd want to hang head down dependent on a cam cleat.
They certainly make them to withstand more pull than a human weighs. If it makes me nervous, a standard horned cleat on the side of the mast will do too.

I really just have to see this happen.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ummmm.... what Jim sez! BUT: it is not requisite to be completely upside-down. Matter of fact; that is probably waaaay too much strain on the spine.
A bit of anti-chafe onna bit of line around the ankles, hanked onto a halyard would do it. Pull till there's some wight and sacral stuff is just off the deck, leaving the rest of you staring at the sky. I'd take the precaution to havva hand on the line rather than cleat off. MUch easier to release in a rapid fashion, if needs be. ;)

Go easy w/it. Small increments and short duration at first, THe 'bend' that the position implies is as beneficial as the strain.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've hung over the boom by the insides of my knees using a halyard with a couple of loops tied in to pull myself back up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts