SailNet Community banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,838 Posts
Not the same as Cruising in the San Diego bay but then I wouldn't have to drive all the way down the state of Calif to get to the boat.
Cruising in San Diego is not all that. Sure the weather is nice but there really is not a lot of places to go.

If I were in your situation I would prefer to have my boat in Puget Sound or up in Canada. Find a marina near a few golf courses. You will have a vacation home in a cool place, and if you get good at sailing you have one of the best cruising grounds right outside the marina in somewhat sheltered waters.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Ok another question from the experts.

I've always taken my cat with me in my Motor Home. Has anyone tried to take a cat with you in a sailboat. I thought I could take her with me and just stay at the slip for a day or two and see what happens?????

·
Read Only
144 Posts
Ok another question from the experts.

I've always taken my cat with me in my Motor Home. Has anyone tried to take a cat with you in a sailboat. I thought I could take her with me and just stay at the slip for a day or two and see what happens?????
We had a dog that as a pup went everywhere on the boat and loved it. We have two not that were introduced as 10 and are a nervous wreck to set foot on it. Cat may be different. Several on youtube cruise with cats. Gone with the Wynns, Sailing GBU have cats.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well things change. My job offer was flying a 50 year old DC-8 and I could just see spending a lot of time in the hotel waiting for parts as I don't think there are any or many still flying.

So the sail boat is out of the picture. However, next spring I'm going to go to the Sailing club here in Portland, Or, do the lessons and maybe join their club, they have 8-10 boats.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,838 Posts
Well things change. My job offer was flying a 50 year old DC-8 and I could just see spending a lot of time in the hotel waiting for parts as I don't think there are any or many still flying.

So the sail boat is out of the picture. However, next spring I'm going to go to the Sailing club here in Portland, Or, do the lessons and maybe join their club, they have 8-10 boats.
It sounds like you have come full circle, with the sailing club. Even if you could afford a boat joining a club is the best way to get started.

I was wondering how you were being pulled back into the workforce? Being typed in a rare plan helps. A decade ago I worked alongside some DC-8s, they seemed to keep in the air everyday. Was your potential job overseas?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I was in aviation for 45 years. Typed in the DC-8 and -9 and the 747 plus some corporate jets. This opportunity is someone trying to put together deal with an old DC-8 he's taking out of moth balls. Will start domestic. Needs a few crews and hope to get started after the new year.

I decided I'm not ready to go back to living out of a suitcase in a hotel and flying an airplane that's 50 years old where parts are a real question which means more hotel time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well I have a deal with the flying job that I think will work, sooo, here I go. Now the recurrent DC-8 school is postponed till Feb 1st. Back to looking at boats again. Got some nice ones here in Portland in the 28-35ft range. Prices $19-28,000. I'm going to look at some this winter and plan to take the sailing school in the spring. I wonder if the prices would be better in the winter vs the spring?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Found an interesting boat the other day. It is about 30 ft with a 3 ft keel and a retractable center board. So will go to about 7 ft or retract to about 3 ft.

Read a story about a fellow who sailed up the Columbia from Astoria to Portland. They ran aground a couple times while nosing around in some of the small bays coming up the river. Each time he just retracted the center board until they broke free and then extended it after in deeper water. Doesn't sound like a bad idea and with the Columbia dragging all the dirt from upstream there are many places outside of the shipping channel that I can see where this might be a good deal on the Columbia.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts