SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, every time I fly north I look down on the Bahamas, knowing there''s no ciguatera to speak of, and daydream about bringing my boat south from Miami (after trucking it down from Maine), fishing, diving and cruising. One of the Sailnet Experts told me I was nuts due to commissioning costs, etc., and should do it from Maine to Bermuda. The cost winds up being about the same once I have a custom vane setup made for my old Bristol 35 Yawl. New furler (from Sailnet), new rigging getting ordered, new running rigging, new mainsail, luff tape on my spitfire and storm jibs, SSB, liferaft, etc. Why not have it trucked to Miami ($3,850) vs. buy the new vane (for the heavy offshore route) and take my time cruising the Bahamas? I can get home to the VI from Puerto Plata for about $300.00 round trip and then take another week and move the boat from Luperon to Fajardo (likely with someone who''s done the trip before), then a day to bring it home (cheap ferry ride from St. Thomas to Fajardo). Comments? I have a 50 Ton license and considerable Gulf of Maine Experience, know weather, etc., etc. This wouldn''t be rag-tag, and May would be the best month to do it, in my opinion......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts