SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts and experiences are with backing up your pacific seacraft, specifically a 37 or 40. Are you able to back her up in a straight line or is she all over the place like some full keel boats. Also how strong does she want to pull to port? I'm sure it varies depending on your prop arrangement, but I would love to hear others experiences and suggestions. Thanks.

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
I don't feel the prop walk like I did on my previous boat (Cal 34). I have however modified my reverse technique in that I put her in reverse and raise the RPM enough to get some good speed. Then I reduce to idle and take out of gear and I find that the speed of water flowing over the rudder gives it greater control during your turn. Once I've straightened my heading out for my exit of the dock area I then put it back in gear (forward) and proceed forward. But for me the control in reverse comes from gaining some speed. If no speed the rudder essentially stalls like a plane wing does when its airspeed is too slow to gain lift. If I do get any prop walk in reverse it pulls me to port.

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
As Keith said once you get the boat moving astern go to idle or neutral and it's fairly easy to back in a straight line. There will be a bit of prop walk to the left until you get moving.

I back into my slip starboard side to the float with an approach from the "right" requiring a right turn then backing to get in the slip. I approach min speed and about a boat length from the slip I select reverse and put the rudder over right. The boat slows and pivots, I adjust as needed to back into the slip and am able to use the rudder when astern to adjust both left and right.

I have a fixed pitch 3 blade prop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts