SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1977 Orion S&S 35. The fixed backstay's swaging is crackin. I was thinking of buying a long nut sta-lok and cutting the cable to fit. Or what about converting it to a running backstay? Would this benefit me or go against the design too much?

·
Splashed
572 Posts
Replace the backstay

Why don't you replace the entire backstay, using stalok or norseman. While the wire may last longer, it must be old(ish) too, if the swage is cracking?

I have a 1977 Orion S&S 35. The fixed backstay's swaging is crackin. I was thinking of buying a long nut sta-lok and cutting the cable to fit. Or what about converting it to a running backstay? Would this benefit me or go against the design too much?

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Ok chickenpants, is it time to replace the standing rigging as well? Any meat hooks on those wires?
If it was me I would probably just replace the fitting without converting to running back stays but that is mostly 'cause I am lazy and cheap.
If the mast is keel stepped then it will most likely stay pointed up even if the back stay parted company with you - unless you were getting tossed around.
Is your boat in the NYC area or do you sail somewhere around Austin, Tx?
It was that white paste in kindergarten that used to taste so good!

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
I wouldn't go with running backstays, but I would go synthetic, as it will save a lot money in costs, and you can make it up yourself.

·
Special Delivery
661 Posts
Replace the entire stay unless the wire is less than 5 years old. Returning from Tortola 2 weeks ago the stay on my stay sail (6 years old) snapped off just below the swage. Luckily, the halyard kept everything from hitting the deck. The rigging had had a complete inspection in the Fall and the stay had been taken off the boat in Febuary to replace some bearings on the furler. Sometimes you get no warning of failure - you've been warned. Have the rest of the rigging inspected as well.

·
2,557 Posts
Replace the entire stay unless the wire is less than 5 years old. Returning from Tortola 2 weeks ago the stay on my stay sail (6 years old) snapped off just below the swage. Luckily, the halyard kept everything from hitting the deck. The rigging had had a complete inspection in the Fall and the stay had been taken off the boat in Febuary to replace some bearings on the furler. Sometimes you get no warning of failure - you've been warned. Have the rest of the rigging inspected as well.
Another reason why I don't like SS rigging. It usually will last for a very long time, but give little to no warning before it fails.

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
Another reason why I don't like SS rigging. It usually will last for a very long time, but give little to no warning before it fails.
Has sythetic rigging been around even as long as a decades old failed rig??

What warning signs od fatigue does it give??

·
2,557 Posts
Has sythetic rigging been around even as long as a decades old failed rig??

What warning signs od fatigue does it give??
No it hasn't. Synthetic line still hasn't been proven for 10 years plus. But if it starts to get fuzzy or frayed, you usually have time to change it out (at a fraction of the cost). It just takes more attention from a maintenance standpoint. SS rigging might show a meat hook, or it might not, and just decide it doesn't want to hang on anymore.

·
2,557 Posts
I'll wait for the technology to mature, like the DVD player I bought last year!!
lol, ain't that the truth.
Hopefully they'll get some better coatings to protect from UV damage, as that seems to be the biggest killer of the syn. lines. I'm a big fan of the syn. rigging, I don't like paying $160 for ONE SS shroud and waiting a week to get it. That being said, I plan to keep a SS forestay, and SS uppers. Don't want anyone on the boat getting 'careless' with a knife. :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
g'day Gil, I'm not sure of your rig but an S&S from the mid 70's is likely to be a mast head rig with in-line spreaders. I would be VERY reluctant to replace a proper backstay with running type backstays on such a rig. S&S were pretty good at making boats work. We had a local boat builder make quite a lot of S&S 34's around that time and they are ledgendary. A couple of notable local boats/owners are Jon Sanders with Perri Benuo(double solo circumnavigation) and David Dicks(at the time and maybe still the youngest to circumnavigate). Not a bad pedigree you've got there.

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
No it hasn't. Synthetic line still hasn't been proven for 10 years plus. But if it starts to get fuzzy or frayed, you usually have time to change it out (at a fraction of the cost). It just takes more attention from a maintenance standpoint. SS rigging might show a meat hook, or it might not, and just decide it doesn't want to hang on anymore.
Is the problem with SS rigging due to crevice corrosion? It seems impossible NOT to have some part of the wire buried in an oxygenless place, whether inside a swedge or a Norseman-like fitting. That won't give any warning before failure. How does galvanized compare for longevity in a saltwater environment?

·
Hinterhoeller HR28
163 Posts
Time for a new backstay. Inspect all of the rest of the rig as well. 10 years in salt is all that is reasonable from ss wire rigging.

·
2,557 Posts
Is the problem with SS rigging due to crevice corrosion? It seems impossible NOT to have some part of the wire buried in an oxygenless place, whether inside a swedge or a Norseman-like fitting. That won't give any warning before failure. How does galvanized compare for longevity in a saltwater environment?
I'm not sure, I know I've used mil spec harware for aircraft before, and they corroded in less than a season. I'm in salt water, lower potomac.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,119 Posts
Running backstays ARE NOT a replacement or alternative to a permanant backstay. Running backstays provide additional support to non-masthead rigs or masthead rigs where pumping is a concern.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks!

Replace it all I shall. Synthetic, eh? hmmmm.... I may be the bozo that gets careless with a knife. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts