SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I apologize. I should have been more clear.

The backstay splits into a Y at about 15' and intersect the mizzen stays near the cockpit wall at about 5'. They then angle down at attach to the deck about 2" from the edge of the boat. To get past them if you're more than 3' tall you have to swing around putting yourself over the edge of the boat. 2 people have already drawn blood on them.

Both stays attach to the deck with a steel plate on the ceiling inside of the aft cabin. The plates are about 2 ft. apart.

I would like to move the main b/s closer to the cockpit wall giving more clearance to walk past them.

There appears to be more than enough sail clearance to do this.

My concern is somehow weakening the main mast support.

Does this help?

Thanks to all.

· Registered
10 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, I'm still to describing this right.

The main backstays divide and attached to the deck about 2" from the edge of the boat close to the stern. They bolt to flat plates in the interior aft cabin roof. Their path passes thru two mizzen stays blocking passage along the deck to the stern. You have to swing outside of the mains over the edge of the boat to get to the stern. Hard to do while carrying a drink. Their angles intersect at a height of about 4' blocking passage down the deck. The mizzen stays attach in the same manner near the edge of the cockpit about 2' away and about 12-14 inches forward..

I would like to move the mains inboard close to the mizzen stays and away from the edge of the boat. This clears a walkway to the stern. There is room for a straight lateral move inward if necessary.

As I said before there does not appear to be a problem with the main sail in terms of clearance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.