SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
if you mean forward where the cap shrouds and stays meet for the mizzen mast the right answer would be no because you are decreasing the angle off the stays and you dont know what angle is enough for your boat unless you talked to the designer...while it might work for a while undue stress will be put on other areas of the rig..

the second issues is you would have to make new chainplates or bases or cheeks or rework the interior since most likey they are reinforced from the inside...

how are they installed currently?

do they attach to a bulkhead or backing plate, or tang? or what?

3rd you will have issues although this is the least of your worries with the leech of the mainsail hitting both backstays every jibe or broad reach etc...unneeded wear and tear on the sail..

there are ways to help with that but you are just adding another unneeded problem

quick answer no

long answer maybe but you would have to mod significantly depending on the rest of the rig.

cheers

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
my quick search shows they are really popular in spain! with lots for sale and charter there

good luck
be safe and dont mod before doing your homework...

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
ja, I too wanted to know what was driving him crazy...and confused by where he wants to move the backstays?

it seemed forward because the mizzen stays are forward of the main backstays as is commonly done...

per the pics I have found out there.

but this would make things worse...

Reactions: SAILINGBUM1

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
ok so I understood correctly

my main issue with this is that you have to know what the designer specified as least angle for the backstays...meaning of course you can move them forward provided the main sail isnt completely hindered but you really have to know the loads being exerted on the REST of the rig by doing so

most importantly you have to reinforce the area by way of cheeks or bulkheads and or plates that tie into a strong point on the hull etc...they would also have to be stronger than the current attachment points since the angle is decreeased towards the top of the mast...

for example much more force will be exerted on your main lowers and cap shrouds and or intermediates if you have them

its not impossible to do...but you have to make sure you still have strength, to be safe.

also a pic would be awesome as Im still confused as to the intersection you speak of...do you mean they physically touch or simply cross paths(angles)?

cheers

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
I understand now...so there is a Y that is only spread out apart 2 feet or so and they are near the rear of the cockpit coamings? you want them more outboard and to each side right?

if so then you actually gain strength especially on reaches by using dual backstays...just dont decrease the angle too much in relation to the masthead.

of course you still need to beef up the area, use backing plates or cheeks etc...but I get why its a nuissance now

basically you had a y backstay but still single so the lowers were always in the way

gotcha(I think) jajaja

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.