SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Swab
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an email from an internet friend this morning. He was transporting his recently purchased Vega to her new home when a tire on the trailer blew out.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd....8_10204621385087426_8827255263170218957_o.jpg

The trailer is wrecked. The boat is repairable but the project is beyond the skills and budget of the current owner. The boat, an Albin Vega 27 same model as my boat (But newer) and located in Florida, is for sale - Best offer.

This is really sad. The owner has been looking for a Vega and we have been corresponding for some time.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
so sorry to see that that is tragic

what damage has been made to the hull

while fixeable thats beyond 99% skills most of us are willing to take on...

I see that as a dreamer

·
Freedom isn't free
3,001 Posts
Wow that trailer looked light... last 3 boats I bought were trailerables.. I went over each trailer more than the boats... for just this worry of mine... you can do WAY more damage to a boat with a trailer problem than anything you do on the water.

Sorry for him, and that looks like quite a project to take on.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
So do we need to come up with a category for "bluehighway" boats?

Reactions: SHNOOL and zeehag

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
So sad -- sorry for your friend's trouble.

I suppose insurance is too much to hope for.....?

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
That sucks... :(
All the boats I ever owned were on trailers, and after I had several close calls I started paying at least as much attention to trailers as to my boats.
Vega is a whale so trailering it is a dangerous job. I stop every 50 miles to feel my tires and hubs for heat buildup. Under inflated (or overloaded) tires will build up heat quickly, and then blow out. The fiberglass damage does not look too bad in the picture. Very repairable IMO, for somebody patient and thorough. Vegas are worth saving. Did the mast get damaged? That would be unfortunate as it is an expensive part to replace.

·
Registered
634 Posts
So sad... after all is said and done there are just a ton of ways a new boat purchase can go wrong. Hopefully this does not kill the dream of boat ownership. I would also point out how fortunate that the trailer slid away from oncoming or neighboring traffic. Imagine how easily someone else could have been badly injured or even killed. Forget about boat ownership, it would take a lifetime to recover from that kind of outcome. Anything larger than a Catalina 25 on a quality trailer, I would always get a pro to move it. Oh well. Hang in there. The ultimate outcome may positively surprise all.

·
Registered
22,430 Posts
Cabin top snapped, gunwale looks broken too. That's some serious structure damage, let alone what can't be seen from the outside. Looks like it's totaled to me. So sad. Sorry for your friend.

Reactions: christian.hess
1 - 11 of 11 Posts