SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One week eggs will kill you and the next they are the perfect food. One week fat is the devil and the next a life saving weight loss miracle. And so on and so on.
Well folks, your much loved French press is the evil twin this week. Only thing is, this was a huge, long running study.
Read it and weep, or find another way to make your beloved coffee.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/22/health/healthiest-coffee-brew-wellness/index.html?fbclid=IwAR12QaRzHe9-zIRXHwgYsAesdbRBkdJxwWECfyTu2C_Faa5WfICKRopdCPs

Attachments

Reactions: Sal Paradise

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
One week eggs will kill you and the next they are the perfect food. One week fat is the devil and the next a life saving weight loss miracle. And so on and so on.
Well folks, your much loved French press is the evil twin this week. Only thing is, this was a huge, long running study.
Read it and weep, or find another way to make your beloved coffee.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/22/health/healthiest-coffee-brew-wellness/index.html?fbclid=IwAR12QaRzHe9-zIRXHwgYsAesdbRBkdJxwWECfyTu2C_Faa5WfICKRopdCPs
o goodie... I got some more years... I've been using Melita filters for coffee forever...used espresso grind (powder) and it's strong!

·
bell ringer
4,765 Posts
Isn't it interesting the things that get “studied”. Isn't “filtered” coffee brewing methods a pretty recent thing?

·
11,797 Posts
I use a French press on the boat , best way to appreciate the palate taste of coffee.....filtered at home so I’m half dead.

Drinking 1 cup a day I doubt it affects you that much

Another good thing that kills you....like too much wine.....too much Corona 😃 .....too much Sailnet .......

I’ll take this under advisement......not.

·
Master Mariner
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use a French press on the boat , best way to appreciate the palate taste of coffee.....filtered at home so I’m half dead.

Drinking 1 cup a day I doubt it affects you that much

Another good thing that kills you....like too much wine.....too much Corona 😃 .....too much Sailnet .......

I’ll take this under advisement......not.
Because of the way I've lived my life at my age I really don't have that much time left. I'm gonna enjoy every minute of it and not try to prolong it by denying myself what pleasures I desire, for the most part.
I just posted it because I thought it an interesting article, not as an advisory for a longer life.
Living through MAD, being alive at 18 was a miracle, at 50 unbelievable and at 70 unimaginable. I dream as though I'll live forever and live as though I'll die tomorrow. Even in quarantine in Carriacou. lol

·
bell ringer
4,765 Posts
Not in Sweden, and other European countries. It's the standard way to make coffee since forever there.
Where is “forever” as didn't filtered brewing really gain a foothold with Mr Coffee? I am not going to research the history of coffee brewing an i wouldn't bother me to be wrong.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Melitta filters have been around forever. The relatively recent introduction of coffee makers has just mechanized filter use.

For boat use, filters can be dangerous. Used to make boat coffee with a Melita filter and a Thermos jug. At sea it was a real juggling experience to pour boiling water into the filter while holding it on top of the Thermos. Managed to do it without any major 3rd degree burns for thousands of miles of cruising but it was pure luck.

French Press is the easiest way to make coffee on the boat. Have an insulated French Press which is super useful as I can make coffee and the insulated FP keeps it hot for the time it takes me to drink a couple of cups. Would love to find one that was big enough to make creating my 10 cup plus daily consumption in one time batch.

·
11,797 Posts
Melitta filters have been around forever. The relatively recent introduction of coffee makers has just mechanized filter use.

For boat use, filters can be dangerous. Used to make boat coffee with a Melita filter and a Thermos jug. At sea it was a real juggling experience to pour boiling water into the filter while holding it on top of the Thermos. Managed to do it without any major 3rd degree burns for thousands of miles of cruising but it was pure luck.

French Press is the easiest way to make coffee on the boat. Have an insulated French Press which is super useful as I can make coffee and the insulated FP keeps it hot for the time it takes me to drink a couple of cups. Would love to find one that was big enough to make creating my 10 cup plus daily consumption in one time batch.
Our Nissan makes 34 oz.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-34-Ounce-Insulated-Stainless-Steel-Gourmet/dp/B00CDTIGDE

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
...French Press is the easiest way to make coffee on the boat. Have an insulated French Press which is super useful as I can make coffee and the insulated FP keeps it hot for the time it takes me to drink a couple of cups. Would love to find one that was big enough to make creating my 10 cup plus daily consumption in one time batch.
Agreed. We've used an insulated French press for years. Far easier to use than futzing around with filters. And easier to clean up too. Just dump the grounds over the side, and drop the pot it in the water for a quick rinse.

·
2,437 Posts
To hell with the studies.

A cup of strong coffee in the morning and a glass of good wine in the evening -- both enjoyed on the water -- make life a helluva lot more pleasant.

Reactions: Degas

·
Master Mariner
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed. We've used an insulated French press for years. Far easier to use than futzing around with filters. And easier to clean up too. Just dump the grounds over the side, and drop the pot it in the water for a quick rinse.
I'm confused. I've not used one, but don't you have boil the water in one pot and then pour it into the FP?
How can that be easier than almost any kind of percolater coffee pot? One pot and pouring only into a cup.
Right now we use an electric drip, but I used to use the one pictured below. It's a pressure cooker coffee maker. I've never made a better cup of coffee.

Attachments

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
I'm confused. I've not used one, but don't you have boil the water in one pot and then pour it into the FP?
How can that be easier than almost any kind of percolater coffee pot? One pot and pouring only into a cup.
Right now we use an electric drip, but I used to use the one pictured below. It's a pressure cooker coffee maker. I've never made a better cup of coffee.
Indeed. My comment about futzing around was mainly meant for the cleanup. But pouring boiled water into a French press is easier than slowly pouring it into into a filter set. No need for finesse. Just pour.

Your example of a stove top espresso maker (I think they're called Moka pots) is actually my preferred coffee maker. Problem for us is that I've never found one large enough to satisfy the morning crave. Even the largest versions only make one decent-sized cup of coffee.

It was never a problem when we had our land home. We'd just toss two or three Moka pots on the wood stove. But boat life limits the number of pots we can easily store, and our two burner stove also limits the number we could functionally use. So a French press is the next best option.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Why not use a French press and then pour the coffee through a filter into you cup?

If no filter use a face mask?

·
Master Mariner
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Even the largest versions only make one decent-sized cup of coffee.
Yep, Moka, that's the one. Picked up my first one in Turkey. I used the 12 cup one which gives me two cups of 'American' coffee.

I wish I'd brought one back to the boat because they only have the tiny ones down here. Where's Amazon when you need them?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts