SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Indeed. My comment about futzing around was mainly meant for the cleanup. But pouring boiled water into a French press is easier than slowly pouring it into into a filter set. No need for finesse. Just pour.

Your example of a stove top espresso maker (I think they're called Moka pots) is actually my preferred coffee maker. Problem for us is that I've never found one large enough to satisfy the morning crave. Even the largest versions only make one decent-sized cup of coffee.

It was never a problem when we had our land home. We'd just toss two or three Moka pots on the wood stove. But boat life limits the number of pots we can easily store, and our two burner stove also limits the number we could functionally use. So a French press is the next best option.
We bought a moka pot in Italy that made easily 10 (espresso) cups. It was a long time ago but I see no reason why they would not exist any more. And no, I don't know where to buy them outside Italy. A 10 second google search scored a 6-cup version https://www.target.com/p/bialetti-moka-6-cup-express-espresso-maker/-/A-14655160?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Appliances+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Appliances&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9007901&gclid=CjwKCAjwnIr1BRAWEiwA6GpwNeQKb_c7d-KG3r3ZmWeIM445Vz4ginYjgQQ8UZ2J2fZrxcsWlIGghxoC6lIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit: Just found a 10-cup version. It is more expensive but stainless steel. We actually switched from the original to something like this one because of some lingering doubts of ingesting acid cafe from aluminum:
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/magefesa-reg-genova-stovetop-coffeemaker/5017233?skuId=63552294&gclid=CjwKCAjwnIr1BRAWEiwA6GpwNWFOleUbSIed7C8lKKLpUFSRFMmaWwv_jZXPnqfuXlZ3atToUmB_9BoC3ykQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
11,785 Posts
I'm confused. I've not used one, but don't you have boil the water in one pot and then pour it into the FP?
How can that be easier than almost any kind of percolater coffee pot? One pot and pouring only into a cup.
Right now we use an electric drip, but I used to use the one pictured below. It's a pressure cooker coffee maker. I've never made a better cup of coffee.
Percolators “burn coffee” old style but better than nothing

https://www.littlecoffeeplace.com/percolator-vs-french-press

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,145 Posts
I have a FP aboard, but almost never use it. I also have a percolator aboard, but only use it when guests are aboard.

This is how I make coffee;

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Using filters limits coffee making devices and things to stow and lug around. We use 2 cup size... fits on a mug and can be use for second refill as strong as you like... grind to powder... In a pinch you can use a paper towel for a filter.

I can even make the coffee in a gimbaled mug (blue in pic) holder over the sink which I can reach from the companionway!

We have the array of coffee making gear at home and don't use them... including an espresso machine. But I have only two mugs / day... one before breakfast and one after. And almost never get a coffee outside.

KISS

Whatever floats your boat!

:2 boat:

Attachments

·
11,785 Posts
Nothing more simple than a mug....a pot and a thermos/ French press......no filter needed...and safe under ALl
Conditions. Not limited to just one cup. But I’m a foodie , coffee can range from simple instant to Turkish.😀😀😀😀it’s all good

·
Old soul
4,497 Posts
...Edit: Just found a 10-cup version. It is more expensive but stainless steel. We actually switched from the original to something like this one because of some lingering doubts of ingesting acid cafe from aluminum:
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/magefesa-reg-genova-stovetop-coffeemaker/5017233?skuId=63552294&gclid=CjwKCAjwnIr1BRAWEiwA6GpwNWFOleUbSIed7C8lKKLpUFSRFMmaWwv_jZXPnqfuXlZ3atToUmB_9BoC3ykQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Yeah ... ten demitasse-sized cups. Not a real cup ;)

Before we moved on board we had a large stainless version, a large aluminum, and a medium-sized aluminum. We'd usually have all three going for the morning coffee cycle.

·
11,785 Posts
Yeah ... ten demitasse-sized cups. Not a real cup ;)

Before we moved on board we had a large stainless version, a large aluminum, and a medium-sized aluminum. We'd usually have all three going for the morning coffee cycle.

Damn that’s a lot of Java

·
Registered
159 Posts
I mostly used my cappuccino machine at home and a Nespresso machine on the boat. Neither use a paper filter so I wonder how they compare with French press or filtered coffee in regards to heart health?

·
Registered
1 Posts
And my Wife just pointed we are too old to worry about it, something else will kill us first.

Probably not anxiety.
I'm with you. I suspect there are much bigger things to worry about. I love my 3 cups of coffee in the morning to wake me up, and occasionally finger or two of scotch and a pipe in the evening to calm me down.

Sometimes I see all these health nuts out there eating handfuls of vitamins, and spending hours in a gym each day and then suddenly drop dead of a heart-attack at 40. I exercise about 15-30 minutes (mostly stretching), I hike and bike as much as possible, I play hard (played adult ice hockey leagues as goalie until I was 55), I eat what tastes good, but I also believe in a spoonful of dirt a week helps strengthen your immune system, and most importantly...I enjoy my life.

So, if in a couple years if I have a heart-attack while drinking coffee...I'll die a happy man who's lived life to it's fullest with few regrets. :grin

·
Old soul
4,497 Posts
It's important to keep these findings in proper context. I haven't read the original papers, but the findings reported in the CNN story are pretty meaningless.

It reports correlations without causation, and the numbers it does highlight are without reference to the baseline risks. A 15% change in a small baseline risk is still a small additional risk.

I wouldn't stress about it.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,640 Posts
not a fan of french press. not best coffee i ever drank. best coffee i ever drank was from a melitta filtering set up and was my own special chiapas and veracruz blend of fresh beans. hand grind for excellence. with a wide bottomed container and bungees the issue is not sailing while making coffee or making coffee while sailing is protecting ones own coffee from theft by crew.
besides the deeep galley basin is perfect for the containment of coffee making filtration system an d carafe.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Because of this discussion I stopped using my Krupps Expresso coffee machine and dug out the Melitta Cone and filters that were in the closet. Definitely a smoother tasting cup of coffee and no grounds left in the cup. Have not yet decided if it will be my standard way to brew at home yet. I'll give it a few more days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are large filter bags available that can be used in a French Press, makes cleanup even easier especially if you are not dumping grounds overboard.

·
Registered
62 Posts
An article on the healthiest way to drink coffee is a bit like the safest way to dump diesel into the river. Neither the person doing the dumping and the person doing the drinking are generally interested in the nuance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One week eggs will kill you and the next they are the perfect food. One week fat is the devil and the next a life saving weight loss miracle. And so on and so on.
Well folks, your much loved French press is the evil twin this week. Only thing is, this was a huge, long running study.
Read it and weep, or find another way to make your beloved coffee.
The healthiest way to brew your coffee (it's bad news for French press lovers)
I thought the grumps in the coffee was good for your constipation. Lol.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts