SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

Ā· Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Reaction score
If you have the head off already take it to a machine shop, does not have to be marine, but must have experience with small diesels. Ask them to do a basic check to see if it has a problem and if so can it be salvaged. Nice thing about a non marine machine shop is they do not make anything by you getting a new motor, so they are more likely to help. Marine shops these days seem only interested in putting in new motors, at the tune of likely 4 or 5 times what you paid for the boat. You may not be able to see cracks in the head without dye. They may be able to plane the head if it is warped. If it is fine, then it is the block giving you issues. The whole manifold and exhaust elbow are likely suspect and are expensive. Best route may be to have a machine shop make one up for you, unless you are a good welder. I think at this point your best option is likely to look for a yard on the current side of Hells Gate as I would not want to go through it with anything but a known good motor. If you have tow boat/seatow unlimited you might see if they can get the boat to it's new home. Are you going to LIS or trying to get to the Hudson/NJ?

Keep in mind that parts for a 40 year old diesel will often not be easy to get, and expensive especially a Volvo. But most may be available with quite a bit of searching and ingenuity.

Ā· Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Reaction score
I think those above have shown you that your "healthy motor is required" probably won't happen before your winter haul out. You might want to check out Sea Tow or BoatUS to get you to the yard. Keep in mind that a free or cheap tow might very well cost you your boat, whereas the professionals can get your boat where it needs to go with a minimum of risk. Good luck.
Yea, it might be cheaper to find a local yard to keep it in for this winter while he gets the motor straightened out. That is why I was wondering which way he was going, as he might get some good referrals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.