SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. im taking off for nine months to go crusing down in the bahamas, virgins, windward/leeward islands. Leaving from florida in early January. Anyone know of any "must see" spots in the Bahamas?? i am restricted by my 6.5'' draft...
Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
that''s one of my dreams...columbus island there is a marina there I forgot the name it was almost empty in feb. last year ,there is also a club med where you can eat and watch shows for a fee about 4 or 5 miles away from the marina ,and club med has great food,,,also puerto rico culabra bay I saw on the travel channel a safe harbor and beauiful, there is also alot of sailing the west coast of PR from mayagues to boduesron of course check everthing out yourself...paul

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Greg,

I would love to share with you a few must-sees but much depends on your intended route.

I am certain that "bostonsailguy" was referring to the island of San Salvador. San Salvador is the Eastern-most Bahamian Island. And Yes, Club Med is a must-see. You will find that there is a marina just next door and all of this is in Cockburn Town.

Another must-see is the island of Bimini, which is the Western-most island in the Bahamas. Alicetown is full of history and good times.

Also, "bostonsailguy" described Culebra off of Pueto Rico. From Fajardo on the Eastern PR coast you have many opportunities for island-hopping. Las Palmas, and further to Jost Van ****, on your way to USVI & BVI offers much in the way of must-see(s).

Like I say though, it depends on what you plan to do and how long, etc.

As far as your 6.5'' draft - you''re in pretty good shape but definitely on the high side for any shoal-draft cruising. You will not be able to just plow through so planning is that much more important. Get Good Charts & Know Your GPS...

Let me know if you want any specifics on the above.

DSM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts