SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Senior Moment
83 Posts
NW Chanel Light at Night for first timers

Having sailed this route for over 30 years and living in Chub Cay for 7 years I have sailed this route more times than I can recall. IMHO I would anchor around Mackie Shoal area for a few hours, making sure you are showing a good anchor light, and then proceed on to make this passage in daylight. Make sure also that you stand off in a westerly direction from Northwest Shoal, which is marked by a VERY small black can buoy and is listed on the charts you have, and then set a course for NW Chanel Light. NW Chanel light is the remains of a steel platform that was destroyed by the M/Y "Blackhawk" during the gulf war when the GPS filters were turned off and was used as a waypoint and the waypoint was perfect. The light was carried to Nassau and removed by crane as it was imbedded into the bow of the yacht. Now a lighted buoy is adjacent to the North of the platform. Make sure that you pass to the North of the light, no further than 500 feet to avoid dangerous reefs to the North and South. If weather conditions and lighting are good it is not a complicated passage, the almanac shows a quarter moon for the dates you propose. I personally would reccomend that you do it the first time in daylight. Then the next time you pass through you will be familuar with the passage. Just my 2 cents, I prefer to err on the side of caution. FYI, I am a professional 200 ton Master, recently retired. Most of my 30yr. career was spent in the Bahamas, but that doesn't mean that my info is the most current. I was last through NW Cannel Lite 1 Yr. ago. Good Luck, fair winds & following seas...and most of all HAVE FUN

·
Senior Moment
83 Posts
NW Channel Light

Your route looks good, the weather doesn't look like it's going to co-operate much. When you can get out, leave and just plug away at it, incidently, NW Channel light does show up good on most small radars. Don't be confused if you get two "hits", one will be the steel platform, and the other will be the buoy close (withing 50'). Still recomend doing it in daylight. Fair winds...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.