SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Master Mariner
9,540 Posts
Reaction score
If you leave your boat unattended (and it will be unattended in a hurricane, even if you hire someone to care for it), and there is a cat 3 or higher, you will most likely lose your boat. In the water, if it's not hit by another vessel, and/or if the anchor or mooring line doesn't chafe through, then debris from ashore will most likely do it in. Same on shore there, as well as surge water as the land is nearly at sea level.
All that being said, this may be a good year to do it as it seems to be an unusually quiet year.
I would not consider the Bahamas a good place to leave my boat, or even spend time, in a normal hurricane season. I've seen what those islands look like after a good blow.

· Master Mariner
9,540 Posts
Reaction score
I've looked at the land elevations in the Bahamas trying to find places that look like they might be more safe during a storm but it all depends on the wind direction which may be impossible to predict. The mangrove idea is good unless the area becomes exposed from a surge, allowing the ocean waves to get in. I think the best decision is to head back to the mainland DAYS ahead of a potential hurricane.

Those SLOSH graphics surprised me too.
What you all seem to be forgetting here is that if there is a good, safe hurricane hole, the locals are going to come in and dump out a few anchors and leave their boats to destroy yours. Many cruisers suffer severe damage from other cruisers who do not secure their vessels well enough for the upcoming conditions, as well.
THE ARE NO SAFE HURRICANE HOLES ANYWHERE, ANYMORE. I've been chased out of very safe hurricane holes by everything; interisland cargo boats, tugs with barges, tour boats, ferries, charter boats and even other cruisers. I got there first, got well secured and then in come the locals, just hours before the storm is due. And I'm left in an unsafe position or needing to move. Storm surge is not the big concern in the islands; it's debris and other vessels.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.