SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
The one project im not sure I myself would want to tackle is the electrical on a boat. What could it cost to get a pro to do the job?
Dinner if you date an electrician like I did when I needed my first boat rewired. :)

You probably want to get a marine electrician or two to give you an estimate or find someone who knows what he or she is doing to look at it for you. There might be someone on SailNet close to you willing to look at your boat.

The problem we're running into with our current boat is only the mold knows what the previous owners were thinking when they wired some stuff. Wires leading nowhere, leading off into more wires that branch off into even more wires. It's a mess.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I also have a Catalina 22 that will need some new wiring. It seems like it should be pretty easy, there aren't that many systems to hook up and there's no ground.

Are there any good books on marine wiring for the novice?

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
I also have a Catalina 22 that will need some new wiring. It seems like it should be pretty easy, there aren't that many systems to hook up and there's no ground.

Are there any good books on marine wiring for the novice?
The one I have is Sailboat Electrics Simplified by Casey. I can't attest to how useful it is but it was recommended when I was looking for one.

Reactions: Minnesail

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The one I have is Sailboat Electrics Simplified by Casey. I can't attest to how useful it is but it was recommended when I was looking for one.
Apparently that book is included in the larger Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual which it looks like I should have anyway, so I just ordered that.

The only thing I noticed is that it's fairly old. The electrics sections seems to have last been updated in 2001. Has anything major changed in the last 13 years?

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
"What could it cost to get a pro to do the job? "
You need to shop locally, since labor could range from $50 to $150 per hour depending on where you are.
And before you ask for quotes, you need to figure out what you want done. Just nav lights and a cabin light? Or full instruments, engine wiring, AC inverter and genset...You can live with two fuses on a panel, or 24 breakers. No plans? No quotes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds like a great opportunity to learn new skills. A quick google search came up with the stock wiring schematics and diagrams. Comparing the two to what you have in front of you will generate some questions. Those that have gone before you will have some answers ( perhaps even correct answers).
Wiring schematics can look intimidating, then again so can a NOAA chart if you don't learn what the symbols mean. Search for "wiring diagrams" which tend to be more user friendly.
Get a bit dirty, make some mistakes, then correct them. Do it all again (and again) if necessary - it ain't rocket science and all counts as a good time mucking about in boats.
You'll end up knowing your boat and yourself better in pretty quick order.
Just don't mess with shore power circuits, they can hurt you.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Its a very easy thing to learn. Just buy your tools at an electronics supply store and buy the good stuff not the cheepo harbor fright stuff. 12 volt systems require two wires one is current and the other is ground, pretty simple, and depending on how many things you put on a circuit (amperage draw) will determine the wire size. and fuses.

Reactions: jameswilson29

·
No more curry buffets
423 Posts
I agree with the DIY idea. 12 volt electrics are super simple, more-so on a small boat like a C22. This is a good chance to learn something and earn some bragging rights. If I was to start from scratch - and I am tempted to on my old girl - I would read up on the ABYC specs and do it all exactly to code. It takes very little additional time or money to do this job correctly and safely.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
The wiring on a boat that size is pretty simple and certainly DiY. Can't imagine spending several hundred dollars to get someone to do it. Not that much has changed in the intervening years.

Research on the internet for a cheap source of tinned wire. The stuff in the boat store, Ancor most likely, is fine quality but pricey. Read the book(s). Buy a couple of decent tools (wire stripper and crimper). See what, if anything you want to reuse on the boat. Plan the job. Check over the plan a few times on the boat to see things like where the wires will run and how long they are. Make up a materials list and order. Then away you go.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The one project im not sure I myself would want to tackle is the electrical on a boat. What could it cost to get a pro to do the job?
See below.

I've never read this book, but it was recommended to me by someone I trust:
The 12-Volt Bible for Boats: Miner Brotherton, Edwin Sherman: 0639785802235: Amazon.com: Books
In my opinion this book is better and cover much more than the two above, still it is simple to grasp. And yes, I've read and have all 3.

Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook: Charlie Wing: 9780071446440: Amazon.com: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51Q-zt0dNVL

The wiring on a boat that size is pretty simple and certainly DiY. Can't imagine spending several hundred dollars to get someone to do it. Not that much has changed in the intervening years.

Research on the internet for a cheap source of tinned wire. The stuff in the boat store, Ancor most likely, is fine quality but pricey. Read the book(s). Buy a couple of decent tools (wire stripper and crimper). See what, if anything you want to reuse on the boat. Plan the job. Check over the plan a few times on the boat to see things like where the wires will run and how long they are. Make up a materials list and order. Then away you go.
++1 on that.
No nedd to search the net, go to either

https://www.genuinedealz.com/
or
Gregs Marine Wire Supply, Welcome Aboard!
you'll not find better prices than those.

Check out this post, start at the battery switch.

1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings - SailboatOwners.com

read other posts here all very helpful.
Musings With Maine Sail - SailboatOwners.com

Get the book, determine the wiring needs, plan, plan, plan. This is easily tackled if you are a bit handy. Save a lot.

1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings - SailboatOwners.com

And if you get stuck, post here for help.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Shortnsalty, can you provide me with a little more detail? How much “wiring” are you planning on doing? Is it a simple project like new battery cables and a new switch panel? Or are you thinking about replacing everything – right down to the light fixtures? This is an easy do-it-yourself project if you have basic hand tool skills. Not knowing exactly what you are planning, I’d say under $200, more if you are thinking of adding radios and a wired in battery charger. A marine electrician will charge you 3-4 hours of labor at between $75 - $150 and hour. I’d be happy to kibitz as I have done this project myself on a C22 (albeit many years ago. First things first: What is the year of your boat? How extensive is your re-wiring? Can you take a couple of photos of your battery compartment and electrical panel (front and back). Learning the skills while doing this project will serve you well in any future boat you may own too.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Sailing StNick, wow! Took a look at the Catalina Direct catalog. Their switch panel alone was $158. I need to modify my estimate to $300 - $350. Being an Aerospace guy, I like the idea of using factory parts but you might also want to look at Defender and see if they have a 4 to 6 switch panel. My C22 was a 1972 vintage and had the old toggle switches and barrel fuses. A circuit breaker type panel is a big improvement, but the Catalina Direct one is loaded with a bunch of extra “accessory” switches. You can get by with having your vhf and car stereo radio on the same switch for example. Having a cigarette lighter accessory plug is a good thing to have on its own breaker. How do you plan on recharging your battery? I used a portable charger. I’m assuming that your battery is under the companionway step? You will want to make sure you have a proper battery box and cover. Another helpful thing is mounting a VU meter so you can check the battery status.

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
Ah, a thread I know a thing or two about. You can download all kinds of info on Catalina 22's off the net including the wiring schematics. This has got to to be the most publicized boat on the net. I'm on my second Catalina 22 and have rewired both. The bigger thing I did was to move the panel from the bilge to some place higher in the cabin since there is always moisture intrusion there. You can get the schematics for the 22 online and follow the diagram and be done in no time at all.

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
CatMan, did you buy a panel from Catalina Direct or did you go elsewhere?
First I bought off Catalina Direct, second was from Amazon, both werew the same though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts