SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year to the SailNet Chesapeake Bay bloggers. Does anyone know anything about the 2009 Baltimore Boat Show? Last year we did go but found that only a small part of that show was directed to sailboats. Many more exhibitors from power boats seemed to be on display.

I was not able to find who would be giving seminars and what the topics are. If any of you hardy sailors have received or heard anything, please pass along. Boat Shows are a nice break from Winter's cold, no-boat activities. We miss the All Sail show that used to happen in Atlantic City. Oh well.

Cheers,

Leslie:confused:
S/V "Tango"
Kent Island, MD

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wellll, the AC show seemed to go to Philly on a much smaller scale. Annapolis is the grand daddy of all the in water shows. That one is hard to beat.
The nice thing of the AC show was it fell when we were looking for a boating fix and the seminars were good.
Last years Baltimore show was a mix of power and sail, mostly power. We wondered if it was worth the price of admission to go this year. The seminars on sailing certainly help when the items for sale are not geared to sail focused folk. The web site did not offer much than time and costs of tickets.

thanks for writing back.

Leslie

·
Cabo Rico 38
52 Posts
Leslie

We went to the Baltimore show last year also and were not impressed as it did not give us the fix we needed. I understand from Smiling Jack who is part owner in Gratitude Yacht Sales her in Rock Hall that the Island Packet will be just about the only sailboats on display. He is also planning on taking some items from his store. I guess we are going to pass this year. We also went to the Philadelphia show two years ago but they have not planned another as far as I know.

Hal

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Happy New Year Hal. Thanks for the feedback. That is what we kind of felt when we looked at the web site. Most venders seem to be focused on power and when it came to seminars, there was no information given. Too bad as I am sure there are lots of sail type folks who share the need for the boat fix this time of year. As we sat looking over Kent Narrows, we did see a larger ratio of sail boats to power last summer. Course that is what $4+ fuel prices do. Who knows what the coming season will bring.

Keep warm.

Leslie
S/V "Tango"

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
I enjoyed going last year and will likely go again. I have found a number of power boat doodads that have appeal to sailboaters (at least liveaboard sailboaters) that aren't usually marketed to us. It's also a chance to catch up on dinghies, guide boats, and kayaks. Finally a boat-fix is a boat-fix and it's darn cold these days. I might even sail up.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I enjoyed going last year and will likely go again. I have found a number of power boat doodads that have appeal to sailboaters (at least liveaboard sailboaters) that aren't usually marketed to us. It's also a chance to catch up on dinghies, guide boats, and kayaks. Finally a boat-fix is a boat-fix and it's darn cold these days. I might even sail up.
I have done that at the New York show.
I spend my time looking at kayaks, Boston Whalers, barbeques, handheld radios etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I got 2 free tickets to it. The kids are free. The last several years they gave away a free annual subscription to a boating magazine. Last year we got Cruising World which was neat. Parking is free too.

Of course going there requires a dinner/meal for the family somewhere around Inner Harbor or Little Italy so its not free. That is the price of having the family along!!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Last year there was a Lazer or some such small, racy sailboat there and those guys were fun to talk to.

Like SVAuspicious said, this time of year a boat fix, is a boat fix and I'll add you gotta get your licks in when you can. I plan to go Saturday despite the show being more aimed at the powerboater.

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
Baltimore Boat Show

We went yesterday (Thursday 1/22/09). Pretty quiet - but full house of displays and boats. No surprise that it is principally a power boat show, but still lots to interest sailors. Parking is easy and free at Camden Yards, "C" lot.

Don't eat the food in the Convention Center (pricey and stale) - right across the street is a great pub, "The Wharf Rat" - on site brewery and very good food.

Go, buy something, jolt the economy.

Wayne

·
Registered
747 Posts
We went yesterday (Thursday 1/22/09). Pretty quiet - but full house of displays and boats. No surprise that it is principally a power boat show, but still lots to interest sailors. Parking is easy and free at Camden Yards, "C" lot.

Don't eat the food in the Convention Center (pricey and stale) - right across the street is a great pub, "The Wharf Rat" - on site brewery and very good food.

Go, buy something, jolt the economy.

Wayne
What did you buy to "jolt the economy"?????

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stay at home

Lots of boats.... 1 sailboat (excluding hobbie cats,lasers & the like)

last year there was about 14 or so...this year there were reps. from two dealerships with paperwork...THAT"s IT !!!

I can get that stuff mailed to me for nothing..

The sail portion of the show WAS to be greatly expanded this year after the interest shown last year.....don't believe the hype

I'll not waste my time again with this event

1 - 14 of 14 Posts