SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
Where are you going to be in Deltaville?

We're at Stingray Point Marina, A-dock near the pool. Stop in and say hi, if you're ever around. The boat is currently on the hard over at Deltaville boatyard, but we'll splash around the end of March or first week of April.

Bill
s/v Palmetto Moon

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
Bill, we did a road trip to Deltaville in the fall and checked out a bunch of marinas. The boat has a 14 foot beam, so it's a bit limiting. There were a few marinas that looked good and had space for us at the time. But I haven't committed to a specific marina yet. I think there is another Gemini at Stingray point, but he's on the hard right now. I'll be sure to stop by and say hi when I come by to visit the other Gemini.

Cam, looks like Crisfield will be part of the itinerary. The only time I've been there was when I took the ferry to Tangiers. If I try to stay strictly on the Eastern Shore, the next opportunity for an anchorage south of the Little Choptank looks to be coming in between Hooper's and Bloodsworth islands. Dozier's doesn't have much to say about the area. Any recommendations for anchorages? Keep in mind that I draw only two feet with the boards up.

Thanks, Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
I was thinking that Gemini might have been yours. I don't see them around much, but they are kinda' around the corner from me, so they could come and go without me seeing them. I checked the open slips at Stingray and can't say for sure that you'd fit any of them, but a 14' beam isn't all that wide these days, so it wouldn't hurt to call Brent to see.

As you say there are a bunch of Marinas to choose from down there, but I'm a little biased toward Stingray as the nicest, because the boat yard is completely separate. There are others that are nice, but more integral with a boat yard.

If nothing fits you at Stingray, I think Deltaville Boat Yard on Jackson creek would be my next choice with Fishing Bay Marina just right on its heels. Doziers is nice with the floating docks and all, but it is Deltaville, so I can't see paying Annapolis prices. Deltaville Yachting Center on Broad Creek is also ok, and I don't know much about the rest of the marina's on Broad Creek. Actually, FBYC would be my first choice, but I'm too cheap to join and would question the moral fiber of any club that would have me. lol

Look forward to seeing you on the water.

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
A buddy of mine owned a house near Stingray Point in Deltaville for a few years. The tap water (from a well I assume) was pretty bad, barely drinkable. Soap would not make suds with it. Bathroom fixtures stained badly so it seemed like it had a lot of iron in it or maybe it is salts.
I am not sure what is in the water but the rumor seems to be that an asteroid hit the area quite a while ago (>50,000 years) which changed the ground water situation. I have no idea what the water is like at the marinas.
Great place to sail from though. The Rappahonack is one of the cleanest rivers in the estuary.
From what I've been told the water at most(all?) of the marinas (at least on Broad creek) have high sulphur and tannin contents. The tannins cause the staining and the sulphur stinks like a$$.

I can't say for sure why, but the water at Stingray, doesn't stink like it used to a couple of years ago. I'm told they installed a reverse osmosis filtration system, but whatever the change, it was most defintely welcome. I'd suggest running the shower as a check at the marinas you consider to see if the water smells like a$$. Its slightly unpleasant but we tolerated it, and the good news is it doesn't make you stink -- once you get out of the shower its fine. That said, my wife is something of a Trooper. A higher maintenance model might put their foot down. The water in the town doesn't have the problem.

People have different ways of dealing with the issue. I've seen at least one that have gone to the length of rigging massive tank/pump systems, so they don't put marina water in their tanks at all. Some fill their tanks from 5 gallon containers filled up for free at the Fire department. (There is a hose bibb behind the sign in front) Personally, I use marina water in my tanks for washing bodies and dishes, but don't really drink it. I keep milk jugs of water from home or the fire department in the fridge for consumption. Also, any time I'm visiting someplace that has good water I'll pump out the D'ville water and get a fresh fill.

Its just one of those things you get used to that makes Deltaville, Deltaville. We intended to move our boat closer to home, but are having a hard time thinking of leaving the friends we've made and it really is such a great sailing area with less traffic than further up the bay.

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
I didn't start this thread to discuss Deltaville marinas, but as long as we're on the subject... does anyone else have info about water quality? The admiral is a trooper. My marina in Baltimore has no amenities, and for a while the only bathroom was a porta potty. But I've been selling her on how nice it's going to be to hang out this summer by the pool at our new marina in Deltaville. I don't mind stinky water, but I'm afraid it may sour her and diminish her enthusiasm for spending time on the boat.

Thanks, Scott
Sorry for the side track on marinas and stinky water. The only thing I could add is the issue may indeed only apply to the Broad Creek Marina's. Things may well be different on the Fishing Bay/Jackson Creek side. This years haulout and crewing at FBYC are my only experiences on the Fishing Bay side, and I haven't experienced the showers at either yet, so don't know if they are affected. I would expect that to remain competitive most marinas are addressing the issue with filtration systems as did Stingray. We are struggling with the decison of moving at the end of this season, but if we commit to stay, I'll probably join the Yacht Club and try to get a slip on Jackson Creek.

At any rate, the water doesn't seem to curb the enthusiasm of the folks we've met. Its just a minor annoyance to most, that I never would have thought to mention, unless someone asked, especially since it no longer applies where we are berthed.

I think you and your lady will very much enjoy hanging by the pool at your new marina, that is on the rare occasions when you choose not to explore one of the many wonderful anchorages nearby. ;-)

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
midlifesailor...its the new C34 on B dock...PM me!
Offpiste, PM sent.

Cam, Stingray's water used to stink. They have some sort of filtration system now and the water is not an issue anymore.

I'll grant that Fishing Bay Harbor Marina does have the nicest pool in town, but the setting is not as nice as SP in my estimation. I like being able to find some shade. These are moot points however, if they don't have a slip available to fit a Nauti's boat.

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
I can vouch for midlfesailor's assessment of Stingray. The water has improved greatly over the years, the people are great, the pool is nice and a piece of shade in Deltaville in August is a precious thing!

Bill...i can't PM until I post 10 times...:(

Michael
Oh yeah. That's what the favorite song thread is for. Just list one per post and you'll be PM'n in no time.

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
Sounds like you're off on a nice leisurely trip. I wish I was done with recomissioning and ready to sail.

I'd hoped to be in the water at the end of this month, but a couple of unexpected issues came up, and we have a family reunion the last week of this month, so I'm now aiming to splash in early-mid April.

Did you settle on a marina yet? I was down last weekend working on the boat, and spent the night aboard in the yard, so I can report the showers at Deltaville Boatyard have no sulphur smell at all.

Hope to see ya' on "the Rivah' soon!

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
Boy is that some current through Kent Narrows. I don't remember it being that fast, but maybe that's because I was too busy watching the bikini contest last time I was there.
Aye...those be the sirens of Redeye's Dock Bar ye' seen there. Many a sailor been lured to their doom by them vixens.

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score

And you guys convinced me. I've agreed to a slip and will be going to Stingray Point Marina tomorrow. Yes, the water stinks. I tasted it when I biked over the other day, but the marina has nice people and seems like a sailors marina.

Scott
Cool, I look forward to making your aquaintence. I'm sure there are a lot of nice folks in most all marina's, but I think you'll be happy with the folks you meet at Stingray.

I'm not going to make my end of month splash date, but hope to only be late another week or two at most. I had a couple of suprises come up at the last minute and hope I can get them addressed and get in the water by the 18th at the very latest.

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
Midlife, I've been to a few marinas over the years and I've enjoyed my stays at all of them. The people have always been great. I just decided Stingray was the best fit for me, my boat, and the Admiral. I will however sadly miss the people I left behind at my marina in Baltimore. I had some great times with them. But I'm looking forward to having some more good times in Deltaville.

Get that boat in the water!
I'm working on it, but I've been getting a bit frantic with plans to get everything done. With this latest issue (a leak in the cabintop of unknown source) I've just surrendered a little bit and am letting go of the stress.

I just have to accept that the boat will get in the water when its fixed, and it will cost whatever it will cost to get it fixed. Life is too short to worry yourself so much. We'll get back in the water and get on Deltaville time soon enough.

As far as missing your old friends you can always head up a trip to go visit. I'm sure you'd get a few boats to go along! I know the SHYC visited B'more last year, but I was between boats at the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.