SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Aeolus II
670 Posts
Reaction score
Where to go south of Solomons

If I had to make a leisurely trip south, after spending a day or 2 in Solomons I would head across the Bay to the Honga River. It is shallow but I am guessing the Gemini can handle thin water. From there I would go to Deal Island. This is a winter home of a fleet of Skipjacks and you might be able to wrangle a day's ride on one. It is a wonderful experience that you will never forget (you will have to get up early). From there head to the back side of Tangier and enjoy a step back in time. From there Deltaville is a short hop down the Bay. This sounds like a fun trip and you should enjoy it. I would take some warm blankets and maybe a heater as march can be nasty cold.

· Aeolus II
670 Posts
Reaction score
If I come through the Honga river, do you have any info on anchoring in Deale Island? I would like to check out the Skipjacks.
It has been a few years since I made this trip (I did it in reverse, south to north) but the Honga river was a pleasant stopover, but very thin water. The Deal Island harbor at Chance was beautiful for a working harbor. Not the picturesque marina type but work boats and 4 or 5 Skip jacks. I stopped there over the summer and later spent 2 days there on a cold December morning hitching a ride on a Skip jack to watch "drudging" in Tangier Sound. I am betting the boats will still be there in March and while the harbor is small, there is ample place to tie up even for your cat. Anchoring might be possible although the place is small. When I was there I enjoyed a special breakfast of scrambled eggs and corned beef in the small cuddy cabin at a table with all the boats crew. A special time for sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.