SailNet Community banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Reaction score
Do you just want to get there or see the sights.? I think the cold would call a quick trip if so sail untill dark go to the lee wherever you are and drop the hook , you won't waste time with in and out of the marinas. I find when I am tied to the dock I get lazy and get moving much later then at anchor But that is just me

· Registered
311 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thought I'd give you guys an update. I left Baltimore on Sunday. Surprisingly after a long cold winter, the engine started right up, and everything on the boat seems to be in working condition. I motored to White Rocks (no wind), and spent Monday sitting out the Gale warning.

Yesterday the winds were 5-10 and the bay a gentle chop. Unfortunately, the wind was from the south, and I didn't make much progress down the bay. My old catamaran does not point into the wind real well. But I want to do most of this trip sailing, and had a great day sailing to Kent Island on a single tack.

I'm anchored in Queenstown, MD while there is a small craft warning and more winds from the south. It's a nice anchorage, except for the din of route 50 in the background. There's another small craft warning tomorrow, but northerly winds. I figure I'll be fine sailing in the lee of Kent Island and will try to make Dunn's cove or Hudson creek tomorrow.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
Sounds like you're off on a nice leisurely trip. I wish I was done with recomissioning and ready to sail.

I'd hoped to be in the water at the end of this month, but a couple of unexpected issues came up, and we have a family reunion the last week of this month, so I'm now aiming to splash in early-mid April.

Did you settle on a marina yet? I was down last weekend working on the boat, and spent the night aboard in the yard, so I can report the showers at Deltaville Boatyard have no sulphur smell at all.

Hope to see ya' on "the Rivah' soon!

· Registered
311 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Midlife, get that boat in the water! It was pretty windy last night, but it seems to have calmed down. I'm looking forward to a sunny, if a bit chilly sail down to the Choptank today.

I haven't decided on a marina yet. Everyone in Deltaville seems to want me to sign a year contract, but I'd like to keep the option open of taking the boat further south next winter. The only place I could find that showed any flexibility was a small marina across the river from Deltaville.

I was able to check out the water at Deltaville Yachting Center. The sulphur smell wasn't as bad as I feared. I could get used to showering in it, but I think I'd want to get my drinking water elsewhere.

Scott

· Registered
311 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Boy is that some current through Kent Narrows. I don't remember it being that fast, but maybe that's because I was too busy watching the bikini contest last time I was there.

Beautiful day out. 5-10 knot winds and sunny. It's a bit nippy too, but the best thing about sailing this time of year... No crab pots! Internet on the Eastern Shore is a lot better than it was a couple years ago.

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
Boy is that some current through Kent Narrows. I don't remember it being that fast, but maybe that's because I was too busy watching the bikini contest last time I was there.
Aye...those be the sirens of Redeye's Dock Bar ye' seen there. Many a sailor been lured to their doom by them vixens.

· Registered
311 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Anchored in Deltaville. It was a great trip. I didn't make it to most of the anchorages you guys recommended, but I did see a lot of the Eastern Shore that I hadn't been to before, and did A LOT of sailing! A highlight of the trip was passing dozens of fishing boats oystering in the Tangier Sound, north of Crisfield. It was a blast listening to their conversations on the radio, even though I could only understand half what they said because of their thick accents.

Sadly, the restaurant in Crisfield where I had the best crab cake of my life is closed. It's been redeveloped into waterfront condos.

It was a cold, wet and windy trip, but I did enjoy a couple long, sunny days of sailing. I've continued to get better at balancing my sails and the rudder so that my boat will sail itself for hours at a time without an autopilot. I could never do that with my old Pearson Ariel.

And you guys convinced me. I've agreed to a slip and will be going to Stingray Point Marina tomorrow. Yes, the water stinks. I tasted it when I biked over the other day, but the marina has nice people and seems like a sailors marina.

Scott

· Registered
81 Posts
Reaction score
Crisfield anchorage

We have, over the past several years, pulled up two pieces of trash when recovering the anchor...the first was a major mess of wire and the second was one of those two wheeled cart you see around marinas. Great sport trying to free them from the anchor or vice versa. They have a very nice marina as an alternative.

· Registered
311 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I did not anchor in the Crisfield basin and can't comment on that. I anchored in a creek nearby and dinghied in. The creek would not be an option for most sailboats, but was fine for my catamaran draft.

I enjoy a secluded anchorage. I was rewarded this time by what I'm pretty damn sure was a bald eagle which perched on a marker nearby. It looked sort of like the vultures flying around, but had a white head. I wish I could have taken pictures, but it looked like a speck on my point and shoot camera. I could only get a good look through my binoculars.

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score

And you guys convinced me. I've agreed to a slip and will be going to Stingray Point Marina tomorrow. Yes, the water stinks. I tasted it when I biked over the other day, but the marina has nice people and seems like a sailors marina.

Scott
Cool, I look forward to making your aquaintence. I'm sure there are a lot of nice folks in most all marina's, but I think you'll be happy with the folks you meet at Stingray.

I'm not going to make my end of month splash date, but hope to only be late another week or two at most. I had a couple of suprises come up at the last minute and hope I can get them addressed and get in the water by the 18th at the very latest.

· Registered
311 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Midlife, I've been to a few marinas over the years and I've enjoyed my stays at all of them. The people have always been great. I just decided Stingray was the best fit for me, my boat, and the Admiral. I will however sadly miss the people I left behind at my marina in Baltimore. I had some great times with them. But I'm looking forward to having some more good times in Deltaville.

Get that boat in the water!

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
Midlife, I've been to a few marinas over the years and I've enjoyed my stays at all of them. The people have always been great. I just decided Stingray was the best fit for me, my boat, and the Admiral. I will however sadly miss the people I left behind at my marina in Baltimore. I had some great times with them. But I'm looking forward to having some more good times in Deltaville.

Get that boat in the water!
I'm working on it, but I've been getting a bit frantic with plans to get everything done. With this latest issue (a leak in the cabintop of unknown source) I've just surrendered a little bit and am letting go of the stress.

I just have to accept that the boat will get in the water when its fixed, and it will cost whatever it will cost to get it fixed. Life is too short to worry yourself so much. We'll get back in the water and get on Deltaville time soon enough.

As far as missing your old friends you can always head up a trip to go visit. I'm sure you'd get a few boats to go along! I know the SHYC visited B'more last year, but I was between boats at the time.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.