SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed a winch upgrade from the old Barient 25's ( 40:1) to the closest size that I would call a direct replacement. First was the physical size and most important to me was mounting hole dimensions. The 27-48 had the same drum diameter so I hoped that the mounting pattern would be the same. I found a pair of bronze drum version and took a chance. They arrived and an hour later I had my answer. A direct replacement for drum size and mounting holes.

Next was the power factor.

They are not 27:1 but 48:1 very equivilent to the Harken and Lewmars 48's, when rated with a 10" winch handle. With a 8" handle they are close to 40:1 and have a smaller turning radius for quicker winching. In a blow if you need the extra advantage, just drag out the 10" handles. (Link )
Winch_upgrade

The 27-48's were like new so the only issue that I'm aware of is the upper stripper cap is a composite that could break and need replacement. Arco- Hutton in Australia still carries a few repair parts for the older style winches.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Arco- Hutton in Australia still carries a few repair parts for the older style winches.
....And they charge an arm and a leg for the parts. But, considering the alternative (replacement with winches still in production)......it's worth every penny.

I have 9 Barient winches on BR and I take VERY good care of them. They're probably 20++ years old and with care and good maintenance they should last another 20 years, maybe more. I don't want to think about what it would cost to replace them.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts