SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The winches are working fine but I can see evidence of corrosion
on the upper edge of the base in a few places.

Looking at the exploded view it looks like it might not be a serious issue as it looks like the bolts all go through the base of the ring but I would like to be reassured by someone who has had one of these babies apart.

If it is not a structural issue then I will clean off the corrosion, build it back up to shape with some JB weld and paint.

These are on my 1978 New Bombay Trading Co Explorer 44 and are marked USA on the ST units.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
you have classic dissimilar metal corrosion going on there

I bet just taking the base off will be a hassle...usually though it wont mess with the upper gears and stuff unless you already feel the winches slugish and or hard to turn, make noises etc...

however I have seen much worse...

have you tried taking off the drums for a looksee?

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
That's why I prefer all S/S or bronze winches. It looks like you haven't been servicing them enough.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I won't touch them until I get down to Grenada and settle down to wait out the season of the big whirly things. They are working fine just now.

There are references on the net to people finding serious corrosion and things crumbling away when they delve deeply into Barients winches.

So I am thinking the worst and looking at plan B C & D.

However the obvious alternative which is a pair of new self tailers will be $4000 even in ali. Ouch.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
thats why I said it might just be the base and bolts...if so you can have those repaired at a machine shop

now if the gears, bearings, etc...are all eroded too then thats something else entirely

regarding winches yeah if buying again go one metal only

on my old wooden boat for looks(and also for longevity) the po spent $$$$$$$ on lewmar all bronze self tailers, incuding a custom bronze base since they were attached to coamings

those 2 winches were probably worth more than what I bought the boat for!

good luck

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
I think that corroded "base" is only an aluminium shroud over a solid bronze base. I've had a lot of Barients and several of them were like that - just a cover to match the drum really.

FWIW, the Barients I've had were the best winches I've ever had and were some of the best & most indestructible machines of any kind that I've ever owned. The closure of that company was a black day for sailors.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The self tailer has metal acne on the top surface and the chrome is coming off the barrels.

But the winch shafts, bearings, gears and pawls are all in excellent shape. I am hoping that it is just non structural and cosmetic damage to the base but just get worried about pulling apart 36 year old ali parts with ss bolts running through them.

I know some parts are available off the shelf from Arco in Oz but not the bases I think.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,412 Posts
Looks to me like the chrome plating has flaked off of the bronze drum. I had this issue with my old Barlow 25 winches, but it did not affect their use. I replaced them with a pair of Andersen full stainless 40st

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well just had a response from Arco in Oz and the do make new bases so I guess I just need to dismantle them when I get down to Grenada and see if there is anything else I need.

$480 US per base or about a boat buck for the two.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
wow man I would not spend 500 for each base...

I bet you you can have it fixed wth new bolts at any machine shop...even make new bases out if stainless with stainless bolts

thats what I would do if in your situation...

or if it where me down here...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
per this diagram the base part number #25 is aluminum
http://j40sailors.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/barient-winch-info.pdf

I also agree it seems you have chrome plated drums not stainless...thats what chrome plated peeling looks like but thats just cosmetic in my book what you need to fix is the bases...

youd be surprised how well stuff can be fixed like that, even a jb weld job is worth a try versus 500 just for the base

thats a lot of $$$ for that

just my cents

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,412 Posts
BTW - I sourced the Andersen FULL STAINLESS Self Tailing winches for ~$900 each...

Coincidentally; some guy sent me an email about my old winches out of the blue (probably a SailNetter). He bought the Barlow 24s off me (also Self Tailing) for $500 for the pair (less PayPal fees) before I could post an ad to eBay.

The net to me was $1300 for a pair of new winches. Everyone was happy. :)

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My current Barients are 9 in at base with 4.5 in at the barrel.

Ali replacements are $4k and ss at least $5k for a pair. I suppose there is some value in my Barients but less than $1k

Assuming that new bases are all I need then it makes economic sense to repair them. The message I am getting is that they are a quality winch. Even the bases which Arco tell me are a relatively poor quality ali. casting have lasted 36 years.

So it is on to Grenada and I will pull them and strip them while I sit out hurricane season. Dizzy Sox will be overseeing operations and safeguarding any small but expensive parts by playing deck hockey with them.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
I have always thought that Barients were very well made winches. I have big Lewmars and they are not as good. When I get back to North America I am going to get all why winches rechromed - once every 30+ years whether they need it or not. I priced out replacements just for the primaries and secondaries - something like $12k - that ain't happening.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I have always thought that Barients were very well made winches. I have big Lewmars and they are not as good. When I get back to North America I am going to get all why winches rechromed - once every 30+ years whether they need it or not. I priced out replacements just for the primaries and secondaries - something like $12k - that ain't happening.
Be careful with who you use, as if they screw it up you will be worse than before re-chroming. Seems with environmental concerns it is hard to get good chroming done anymore. There was a post a few years ago about someone who had issues with chroming cowl vents. I would hate to see someone end up with a worse finish and a replacement cost of 12,000! I remember getting bumpers chromed in the late 70's and early 80's and they came out better than new, but I doubt you could do that today. Seems lots of folks only care if it is shiny for a few years, then it is someone else's issue.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
good luck getting a good rechromer these days.

in the biking industry there was 1 re chromer nationwide that was considered decent and good value...I remember most guys just preferred painting and or powdercoating...

forget the name us chrome or something...

anhywhoo

be careful

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
Check the world of high end hot rodding and/or car restoration - they get ultra high quality chroming done all the time.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
What don't you like about your Lewmars? (Other than the need to rechrome after 30 years).

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,412 Posts
Not that it matters much, but replacement Andersens (Full Stainless) would run about $3K each.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts