SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My main and staysail sheet winches on the cabin top are Barlow 23 and 19. Both are self tailing.

My halyard winches are also Barlow 23's but not self tailing.

Here is my confusion...

The mast winches, 23's are two speed.

The sheet winches are one speed - at least in that when you turn the handle counter clockwise, the winch cranks at slow speed. When you turn it clockwise the handle spins and clicks from the pawls like a one speed would.

More confusion...

The two winches come apart differently. The mast winches have the 4.5 hex nut in the middle that is loosened and the winch comes apart.

The sheet winches have a set ring on top that has two holes in it. with a spanner the ring is unscrewed and the essembly comes apart. there is no "set screw" in the middle.

For the sheet winches, if you turn the handle clockwise, it should be a one for one turn but there is no locking or engaging mechanism for either of these winches. Did Barlow make them this way on purpose so that they are just one speed (low) winches?

I have serviced and completely stripped and lubed all the winches. They work great and have all the parts, pawl, springs etc (4 pawls per winch, etc).

Any ideas?

·
19,489 Posts
Are the bases of the '23's the same? I'd consider swapping with the ones on the mast. Multispeed winches are pretty nice to have on genoa sheets.. and IIRC your Slocum will have fairly large headsails.

btw; when disassembled there should be obvious extra gearing in the 2 speed version...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are for the mainsheet and staysail and sit on the cabin top. I have some much larger and fully functional 2 speed winches for the jib sheets.

I thought about changing them around for the main sheet but the winches on the mast are not self tailing and can't swap out the guts as they are again different in the length.

The low speed on the main sheet is ok.. actually works well for my wife as I doubt she could do a one to one in any type of wind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts